Standing on a manta

Last response: in Video Games
March 2, 2005 5:57:03 PM

Hi guys,

I'm often tried to stand on a manta but for some reason I keep falling
off. I didn't care much about that in ONS since there is always a lot of
other things to do on ones own.
But now I discovered that in VCTF it is a highly valuable strategy,
since the passenger IS able to pick up the flag in a flyby, is seems
without stepping of the manta. So now I need to learn the trick.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong. Any helpfull hints?

Ursa..

More about : standing manta

Anonymous
March 2, 2005 5:57:04 PM

On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 14:57:03 +0100, MajorUrsa <majorursa@iname.com>
wrote:

>Hi guys,
>
>I'm often tried to stand on a manta but for some reason I keep falling
>off. I didn't care much about that in ONS since there is always a lot of
>other things to do on ones own.
>But now I discovered that in VCTF it is a highly valuable strategy,
>since the passenger IS able to pick up the flag in a flyby, is seems
>without stepping of the manta. So now I need to learn the trick.
>
>Any idea what I'm doing wrong. Any helpfull hints?

Crouch helps (C?). Having a pilot who is not ham fisted helps too.

--

Julian Richards
usenet "at" richardsuk.f9.co.uk

Usenet is how from the comfort of your own living room, you can converse
with people that you would never want in your house.

wrote:

>Hi guys,
>
>I'm often tried to stand on a manta but for some reason I keep falling
>off. I didn't care much about that in ONS since there is always a lot of
>other things to do on ones own.
>But now I discovered that in VCTF it is a highly valuable strategy,
>since the passenger IS able to pick up the flag in a flyby, is seems
>without stepping of the manta. So now I need to learn the trick.
>
>Any idea what I'm doing wrong. Any helpfull hints?
>
>Ursa..

Like Julian said, you need to crouch. Crouch will basically nail you
to the wing, unless the pilot hits an obstacle that brushes you off.

You can also use crouch to position yourself on a hill or ridge that
you couldn't otherwise stand on. A good example is the snow bank
alongside the primary node on Arctic Stronghold. Good technique for
sniping or defending an area with an Avril.

The crouch key also causes the Manta to "squat", which is how you
decapitate the enemy. ;-)
March 2, 2005 5:57:05 PM

"Folk" <Folk@folk.com> sez:

> Like Julian said, you need to crouch. Crouch will basically nail you
> to the wing, unless the pilot hits an obstacle that brushes you off.

> The crouch key also causes the Manta to "squat", which is how you
> decapitate the enemy. ;-)

Also... as the passenger riding in the crouch position on the wing of a
Manta, if you carefully turn inward, facing the driver, and back up until
your butt hangs over the edge of the wing (and, assuming your
well-coordinated pilot is kind enough to execute a fly-by past an opponent
on the ground), you can perform the rather difficult maneuver known as
"wiping your butt with the enemy's face."

While this technique does not net you any points, it is highly humiliating
and intimidating for your opponent.

Please note that I have never actually seen this maneuver executed during
online play, as I only just now made it up. "Pulled it out of my butt," so
to speak.

But, please, feel free to attempt this maneuver on your own. If you'd be
kind enough to record it, we'd all be very appreciative. Also, if you
should happen to submit a paper regarding this technique to any of the more
reputable Unreal Tournament-related scientific journals, please remember to
credit...

~SomeOldDude~
( ;^{)]
Anonymous
March 2, 2005 8:42:41 PM

On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 12:37:44 -0600, SomeOldDude wrote:

> Also... as the passenger riding in the crouch position on the wing of a
> Manta, if you carefully turn inward, facing the driver, and back up until
> your butt hangs over the edge of the wing (and, assuming your
> well-coordinated pilot is kind enough to execute a fly-by past an opponent
> on the ground), you can perform the rather difficult maneuver known as
> "wiping your butt with the enemy's face."
>
> While this technique does not net you any points, it is highly humiliating
> and intimidating for your opponent.

ROFL, nice.

--
{AGUT}DeadMan
March 2, 2005 9:52:51 PM

Julian Richards wrote:

>>Hi guys,
>>
>>I'm often tried to stand on a manta but for some reason I keep falling
>>off.
>

> Crouch helps (C?). Having a pilot who is not ham fisted helps too.

Yes, crouching helps, but standing on the roof of the Manta is *much*
better.

Btw, tried to say hello to a SuspectDevice in an Atari server a couple
of times the other day, but got no response :o
Anonymous
March 2, 2005 11:37:39 PM

On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 18:52:51 +0000, Sloper <steveo40uk@yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:

>Btw, tried to say hello to a SuspectDevice in an Atari server a couple
>of times the other day, but got no response :o

Someone was probably trying to kill me at the time.

--

Julian Richards
usenet "at" richardsuk.f9.co.uk

Usenet is how from the comfort of your own living room, you can converse
with people that you would never want in your house.
Anonymous
March 2, 2005 11:39:18 PM

On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 12:05:01 -0500, Folk <Folk@folk.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 14:57:03 +0100, MajorUrsa <majorursa@iname.com>
>wrote:
>
>>Hi guys,
>>
>>I'm often tried to stand on a manta but for some reason I keep falling
>>off. I didn't care much about that in ONS since there is always a lot of
>>other things to do on ones own.
>>But now I discovered that in VCTF it is a highly valuable strategy,
>>since the passenger IS able to pick up the flag in a flyby, is seems
>>without stepping of the manta. So now I need to learn the trick.
>>
>>Any idea what I'm doing wrong. Any helpfull hints?
>>
>>Ursa..
>
>Like Julian said, you need to crouch. Crouch will basically nail you
>to the wing, unless the pilot hits an obstacle that brushes you off.
>
>You can also use crouch to position yourself on a hill or ridge that
>you couldn't otherwise stand on. A good example is the snow bank
>alongside the primary node on Arctic Stronghold. Good technique for
>sniping or defending an area with an Avril.
>
>The crouch key also causes the Manta to "squat", which is how you
>decapitate the enemy. ;-)

For those who use the Red Orchestra mod, you have prone, which is even
better. Is this the best Usenet group to discuss RO or even the
mythical beast Dragonball U?

--

Julian Richards
usenet "at" richardsuk.f9.co.uk

Usenet is how from the comfort of your own living room, you can converse
with people that you would never want in your house.
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 12:10:28 AM

Perhaps there is a "butt-kill" no one knows....

It certanly would be humiliating.

HaglStorm_DK

"SomeOldDude" <nunya@business.com> skrev i en meddelelse
> "Folk" <Folk@folk.com> sez:
>>
>> Like Julian said, you need to crouch. Crouch will basically nail you
>> to the wing, unless the pilot hits an obstacle that brushes you off.

>> The crouch key also causes the Manta to "squat", which is how you
>> decapitate the enemy. ;-)
>>

> Also... as the passenger riding in the crouch position on the wing of a
> Manta, if you carefully turn inward, facing the driver, and back up until
> your butt hangs over the edge of the wing (and, assuming your
> well-coordinated pilot is kind enough to execute a fly-by past an opponent
> on the ground), you can perform the rather difficult maneuver known as
> "wiping your butt with the enemy's face."
>
> While this technique does not net you any points, it is highly humiliating
> and intimidating for your opponent.
>
> Please note that I have never actually seen this maneuver executed during
> online play, as I only just now made it up. "Pulled it out of my butt,"
> so
> to speak.
>
> But, please, feel free to attempt this maneuver on your own. If you'd be
> kind enough to record it, we'd all be very appreciative. Also, if you
> should happen to submit a paper regarding this technique to any of the
> more
> reputable Unreal Tournament-related scientific journals, please remember
> credit...
>
> ~SomeOldDude~
> ( ;^{)]

March 3, 2005 2:15:29 AM

"MajorUrsa" <majorursa@iname.com> wrote in message
> Hi guys,
>
> I'm often tried to stand on a manta but for some reason I keep falling
> off. I didn't care much about that in ONS since there is always a lot of
> other things to do on ones own.
> But now I discovered that in VCTF it is a highly valuable strategy, since
> the passenger IS able to pick up the flag in a flyby, is seems without
> stepping of the manta. So now I need to learn the trick.
>
> Any idea what I'm doing wrong. Any helpfull hints?
>
> Ursa..

Yeah it annoying to fall out ? I figure once stand on manta do not move at
all cost. Me and player stand on manta and fly all over without falling.
sometime fall so quickly cos bot who is pilot in manta....
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 3:14:20 PM

On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 20:39:18 +0000, Julian Richards <see@sig.co.uk>
wrote:

> Is this the best Usenet group to discuss RO or even the
>mythical beast Dragonball U?

There probably aren't any appropriate Usenet groups, but there is an
online forum here: http://www.redorchestra.clanservers.com/forums/
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 3:19:21 PM

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 12:37:44 -0600, "SomeOldDude" <nunya@business.com>
wrote:

>"Folk" <Folk@folk.com> sez:
>>
>> Like Julian said, you need to crouch. Crouch will basically nail you
>> to the wing, unless the pilot hits an obstacle that brushes you off.

>> The crouch key also causes the Manta to "squat", which is how you
>> decapitate the enemy. ;-)
>>

>Also... as the passenger riding in the crouch position on the wing of a
>Manta, if you carefully turn inward, facing the driver, and back up until
>your butt hangs over the edge of the wing (and, assuming your
>well-coordinated pilot is kind enough to execute a fly-by past an opponent
>on the ground), you can perform the rather difficult maneuver known as
>"wiping your butt with the enemy's face."

What would you call it if you didn't turn around? "Schlong attack"
maybe? ;-)
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 5:22:21 PM

Folk wrote:
> On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 14:57:03 +0100, MajorUrsa <majorursa@iname.com>
> wrote:
>>Any idea what I'm doing wrong. Any helpfull hints?

> Like Julian said, you need to crouch. Crouch will basically nail you
> to the wing, unless the pilot hits an obstacle that brushes you off.
>
> You can also use crouch to position yourself on a hill or ridge that
> you couldn't otherwise stand on. A good example is the snow bank
> alongside the primary node on Arctic Stronghold. Good technique for
> sniping or defending an area with an Avril.
>
> The crouch key also causes the Manta to "squat", which is how you
> decapitate the enemy. ;-)

Thanks all for the elaborate replies.

I do use 'crouching' a lot when on ledges and I also tried that on the
manta, but I still fall off after some 30 meters. Maybe it is something
with different packetspeeds through the network. Or I happen to have a
bad driver. I now avoid doing the trick in close matches because it
disturbs the flow too much.

Oh well, I'll just keep practising, especcially the butt-wipe :-).

Ursa..
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 5:22:22 PM

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 14:22:21 +0100, MajorUrsa <majorursa@iname.com>
wrote:

>I do use 'crouching' a lot when on ledges and I also tried that on the
>manta, but I still fall off after some 30 meters. Maybe it is something
>with different packetspeeds through the network. Or I happen to have a
>bad driver. I now avoid doing the trick in close matches because it
>disturbs the flow too much.
>
>Oh well, I'll just keep practising, especcially the butt-wipe :-).

You may have a point with a bursty link to the server. When I get this
I can't keep a lock with the AVRIL. When it's bad I get a horrible
stuttering effect.

--

Julian Richards
usenet "at" richardsuk.f9.co.uk

Usenet is how from the comfort of your own living room, you can converse
with people that you would never want in your house.
Anonymous
March 6, 2005 3:36:58 PM

>Also... as the passenger riding in the crouch position on the wing of a
>Manta, if you carefully turn inward, facing the driver, and back up until
>your butt hangs over the edge of the wing (and, assuming your
>well-coordinated pilot is kind enough to execute a fly-by past an opponent
>on the ground), you can perform the rather difficult maneuver known as
>"wiping your butt with the enemy's face."
If only ONS allowed the use of adrenaline combos, then this would be
the perfect place for my "Explosive Diarrhea" Combo.
(home.gci.net/~ghouck/EDCombo.zip). Be kind of a "Carpet Bombing"
effect.

You should start drinking prune juice and KY jelly cocktails right now,
that will make things a lot smoother.
-Felatio Love
!