Sign in with
Your question

Looking for card comparable to GTS 450...but single slot

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 30, 2010 8:49:47 PM

I recently opened a thread and received some great answers...only to discover that the suggested cards wouldn't work with my mobo. I'm looking to upgrade my system's (HP m9340f) video card from an Nvidia 9500gs to a much more appropriate card. Needless to say I am not the most computer-literate and didn't realize that my mobo is only a single slot...while the GTS450 I was wanting requires 2 slots. Are there any cards that are similar in performance to the GTS 450 yet only single slot? I would prefer Nvidia over Radeon if possible.

Thanks
a c 130 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
September 30, 2010 9:02:03 PM

You can buy a single slot 5770 which is the ATI equivalent.

Mactronix :) 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 30, 2010 9:10:01 PM

^ +1
m
l
Related resources
a c 173 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
September 30, 2010 9:20:27 PM

Take a picture of the inside of your machine or one online that is of the same model. Because most users are not physically limited to single slot cards. If there is a physical impediment to your use of a dual slot card such as a card in the adjacent slot then go ahead and get the single slot 5770 or a 5670 if nothing else is available.
m
l
September 30, 2010 9:28:29 PM

mactronix said:
You can buy a single slot 5770 which is the ATI equivalent.

I believe xfx release one
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 30, 2010 9:30:58 PM

Yep
m
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
September 30, 2010 10:08:57 PM

You have more than enough room if the case is of standard size so you may be able to fit just about any thing you like.
m
l
September 30, 2010 10:20:59 PM

Ah...so I'm going to reveal how much of a noob I am to this lol. I thought single or double slot referred to how it fits with your mobo, not room inside the case. Are you saying that if I transfer over to the HAF 922 that the GTS 450 will fit/work with my system?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 30, 2010 11:53:46 PM

Single Slot/Double Slot refers to how much space it takes inside your case, that is, if it's a double slot card, it will physically connect to one slot on the motherboard, but because of the cooler being so large, it blocks two spaces (the one that it's connected to, and the one below it because of the cooler).

So to clarify for you in reference to that picture you linked: It will take the first black slot, and cover up the tiny black slot immediately below it (ONLY if it's a dual slot card). If it's a single slot card, it will only physically take up space around the first black slot.

What Nforce was trying to say was that if you don't have a micro case, you should be fine. Looking at the specs on the HP web site, a 5770 would fit perfectly fine inside.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
October 1, 2010 12:10:15 AM

I would get a HD5770 also, 450 isnt bad, but the 5770 draws a hair less power for a bit better performance. Its around the same process.

I have pretty much a similar HP case and the 5770s going to fit fine in there.
m
l
October 1, 2010 12:19:56 AM

I see, thanks for clarifying that boris. I was told to avoid Radeon if possible because they have a lot more driver issues than Nvidia. However if you guys think I should go with the 5770 then I'll trust your judgement. Is there any performance difference between a single or double slot 5770 since they have less room to work with in the single slot?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
October 1, 2010 12:22:34 AM

performance wise no, but the cooler will have to work slightly harder.
Honestly, your case fits double slots fine, don't spend the extra $30.

AMD drivers aren't as bad as people see them as, you just need to tinker and remember newer isn't always better.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 1, 2010 12:29:03 AM

^+1

Just as Tim stated, newer isn't always better. Nvidia has driver issues too sometimes, it's just that ATI gets a bad rap by word of mouth. It's not as bad as you think it is.
m
l
October 1, 2010 12:44:01 AM

Great info : ) I really appreciate the timely responses. 5770 it is then.
m
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
October 1, 2010 1:13:55 AM

Timop said:
I would get a HD5770 also, 450 isnt bad, but the 5770 draws a hair less power for a bit better performance. Its around the same process.

I have pretty much a similar HP case and the 5770s going to fit fine in there.

Sure the 5770 is the red hot wet nipple dream of the gaming world after a year fap fap fap. :pt1cable: 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
October 1, 2010 1:17:25 AM

nforce4max said:
Sure the 5770 is the red hot wet nipple dream of the gaming world after a year fap fap fap. :pt1cable: 

Psht, have fun waiting for Kepler.

Waiting is great, as there's good things coming, but if he wants it now, the 5770 is a decent card for a decent price. The new ~$100 ATIs shouldn't be here until early next year.

Would you be happier if I said get a GTX460?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 11, 2010 11:41:27 PM

GTX 260, better image quality, better AA, better drivers, better stability. The only thing wrong with it is the power consumption, but it isn't that bad compared to the GTX 480.

Nvidia's game maybe down, but stronger quality is always better than cheaper unstable video cards that ATI has to offer (yes, I had lots of problems with ATI drivers and the card itself).
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
October 12, 2010 12:02:30 AM

reprotected said:
GTX 260, better image quality, better AA, better drivers, better stability. The only thing wrong with it is the power consumption, but it isn't that bad compared to the GTX 480.

Nvidia's game maybe down, but stronger quality is always better than cheaper unstable video cards that ATI has to offer (yes, I had lots of problems with ATI drivers and the card itself).

Complete BS. The GTX260 is a generation old card that supports less features than the HD5770, image quality is also worse due to the lack of DX11 support, as well as AA due to its architecture. PLENTY of Nvidia cards crap-out and die sooner than ATIs. The fact that you're suggesting an old, overpriced and power sucking card is simply suggesting you're an misinformed fanboy.

He would rather get a GTS450 over a 260. Though ATI drives are nowhere near as bad as you say they are. Its is less robust than recent Nvidia drivers I agree, but with the correct version you can get it working perfectly.
m
l
October 13, 2010 5:49:49 PM

You honestly should not buy a 5770 right now when the 6770 is right around the corner. That will increase performance significantly in the midrange >5850 performance at 5770 prices!
m
l
a c 130 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
October 13, 2010 6:58:00 PM

vjcsmoke said:
You honestly should not buy a 5770 right now when the 6770 is right around the corner. That will increase performance significantly in the midrange >5850 performance at 5770 prices!

Where did you see pricing ? Performance is all speculation at this point and i have seen zero about pricing.

m
l
!