Your question

Use physical cores and not threads

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Processors
Last response: in CPUs
February 19, 2011 6:47:01 PM

Hello,
I N550 processor and i cant disable HT in the bios. I run game which only uses 1 thread while on my dual core no HT laptop it uses both cores. How can i make it to use both cores or at least one fully?

More about : physical cores threads

a c 131 à CPUs
February 19, 2011 7:32:53 PM

My advice is don't worry about it. It will make no difference performancewise. It could actually reduce performance.

I may of course be misunderstanding you. Your post is somewhat difficult to understand. It is also lacking in any detail as to what you are trying to accomplish.
a c 105 à CPUs
February 20, 2011 1:46:19 AM

Giorgos said:
Hello,
I N550 processor and i cant disable HT in the bios. I run game which only uses 1 thread while on my dual core no HT laptop it uses both cores. How can i make it to use both cores or at least one fully?

The Turion II N550 does not have HyperThreading since it is an AMD chip and not an Intel chip; no AMD chip has HyperThreading.* It is a dual-core CPU with no HyperThreading, just like your other laptop. There are several reasons that you may see the game you are running load up one core partially on your new system versus both cores on your old one. You very likely can't change anything to make it act differently in that unit, since it either sounds like you are GPU-limited or the game itself isn't really very multithreaded.

*If you see something called "HT" in the BIOS, it's for HyperTransport, which is a communication bus between the CPU and the chipset. You cannot turn that off since the computer will not function without the chipset being able to communicate with the CPU.
February 20, 2011 9:56:25 AM

Yes my CPU is the Intel N550. My problem is that:
On my laptop and T8300 the game (darkfall online) seems to use more than one procesor since the task manager shows 65% usage
On the netbook with a inferior procesor the task manager shows that the game uses a maximum 25% which is one thread.
My guess is that the game doesnt utilize the CPU as effectivelly right? So i blame the HT for that. I was looking for something like http://www.robpol86.com/index.php/ImageCFG but didnt work in my case. The game wont even start so i was hoping there was something else i can do.
February 20, 2011 10:11:56 AM

Correction. It uses 38% which is about 65% on two cores.
February 20, 2011 11:03:26 AM

Civilization V uses 60%+ on the N550 with HT so games can either use or not use HT. Darkfall does not use HT and since on Dual core systems it uses more CPU compered to HTed ones its clearly the HTs fault.

The laptop has T8300 W7x64 Ultimate Nvidia 8600M GT 4GB DDR2 RAM
The netbook has N550 W7 starter Nvidia ION 1GB DDR3 RAM
Both on AVG free Antivirus
February 20, 2011 12:21:44 PM

Installing MSE definatelly improved my framerate and the cpu usage is now at 60%. Strange but darkfall uses 30% where is the rest 30 consumed? I guess there is a problem with the task manager.
!