Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Nvidia gtx 460 install

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 30, 2010 10:03:50 PM

Hello,
i just purchased a nvidia gtx 460 and it only came with one 6 pin connector. I think that is what its called? Anyways It has 2 slots if I wanted to have two of them.

So I plug in the one that came in the box to the back of the video card and plug it into my computer and connect the two cords(dont know what they are called) and turn on the PC and the monitor wont turn on. I took it out and used the same wires to connect my old video card and it worked fine. So im wondering why this thing wont work? Should I try installing the drivers first? Do i need a new power supply?

More about : nvidia gtx 460 install

Best solution

a b Î Nvidia
September 30, 2010 10:10:23 PM

the GTX 460 needs two power connectors. you used one power adapter and hooked it up to two free molex connectors. you need to do one the following

run the Power Supply's PCI-Express Connector to the second video card power slot

buy, steal, burrow a second adapter and hook it up to two more free molex connectors

if your PSU does not have a PCI-Express Connector then its a good sign it may not be up to the task to power the video card. Do you know the make and model of the PSU?
September 30, 2010 10:15:23 PM

i have a second adapter from my other video card. and i only have one free molex connector in my computer.

tigerpro LC8400BTX 400 watt is what the PSU is i think.
Score
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
September 30, 2010 10:20:07 PM

you need to upgrade your PSU

do you live in the USA? Do you have a budget for the upgrade?
Score
a c 87 Î Nvidia
October 1, 2010 5:31:36 AM

ct1615 said:
you need to upgrade your PSU

do you live in the USA? Do you have a budget for the upgrade?

^ +1

That is not enough power supply for a GTX460. Even high end power supplies are cutting it close with 400 watts. Look for Corsair, Seasonic, Antec, PC Power and Cooling or XFX and you would be better off with 450 watts or more. Realistically a good quality 550w unit can run any single graphics card made so if you plan on updating in the future you might want to consider that.
Score
October 1, 2010 6:02:41 AM

Best answer selected by ryanjennings123.
Score
a c 171 Î Nvidia
October 1, 2010 6:43:35 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!