Dell Optiplex GX620

rocknroller

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
I also have a GX620 mid-tower and want to upgrade. My idea is to change processors to a 950 (3.2 ghz or a 3.46 ghz...960 model I think) Pentium D, and add 2 sticks x 2gb = 4gb ddr2 ram giving (6400 or 800 mhz) dual channel, and of course, update the bios to handle the changes.

Anyone know if this combo will support 1066 mhz ram? I realize this is a bit of trouble but I am planning on using the unit strictly for a home media environment such as streaming video and such.

Also want to add a pci express card to provide HDMI output to HDTV including audio on the HDMI cable (also need advice on the best card for this....and hoping that a wireless HDMI card is available) .

Would greatly appreciate any suggestions on these mods and whether or not I am better off to change out the factory MB and update from there, please advise....thanks...rocknroller....

I never recommend upgrading a dell or hp system; and don't flash the bios unless the reason for the bios file is listed on dell's website. Your system won't support faster ram so there's no point in paying for it; For the ram, crucial is probably the safest brand to use with oem systems. Check craigslist for 2x2gb pc6400 ddr2 non-ecc desktop kits; samsung may also work. For the processor, your dell heatsink may not work with a faster hotter p4; most of those are marginal for cooling. Most dell's with the p4 don't use the plastic socket bracket for Intel's heatsink; otherwise I would recommend a retail box p4 if you can find any on ebay or places like starmicro. If I were you, I would sell off your old system on craigslist intact with no changes whatsoever. A dell vostro with core2 duo e5200 was on sale for about $260 the other day, and came with windows 7 and 3 gb of ram. Here's one example: http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=DDDWAD1&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&ACD=10550055-361116-FWa7l7a1&AID=361116

rocknroller

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009

My reason for this upgrade was that I have most of the components sitting on my bench unused.

As to the cooling, I've never been much of fan on passive cooling anyway and intended to replace the heat sink with a fan powered one which would handle the hotter cpu.

Really, I'm just looking for a simple and inexpensive way to watch HD or streaming internet tv from this computer which I want to connect to my HDTV.

Thanks for your most prompt and informative reply....rocknroller...