Asus MoBo and Corsair RAM

Mel Carter

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
Hello,
I am building a gaming system. I have a Asus M4A89GTD PRO MoBo and a AMD Penom 11 CPU. I bought 2 lots of 8 Gb RAM each in 2x4Gb DDR3 sticks. I bought 2 different speeds : CMXBGX3M2A1600C9 and same # but with 1333 instaed of 1600.
I am not mixing the two speeds.

Trouble is the system won't boot beyond the memory check (1 long beep, 2 short ones) and the MemOK light remains lit. Even pressing the MemOk button does not make the system recognise the RAM. Before I return the items as incompatible, could you tell me : does the system fail because the MoBo can't read a 4Gb stick? Would I get it to boot using 4x2Gb sticks - and would c8 or c9 in the RAM spec make any difference?

Cheers

MerC

I would check your ram installation; do you have each pair in the same color slots? Is it seated all the way into the slot? Have you tried just one pair at a time? If you get one pair to work, check the ram voltage under hardware monitor in the bios against the ram specs. You can try increasing it slightly to 1.6-1.65 volts. If it still won't run, then one stick may be bad, and it's time to test each stick one at a time in dimm slot number one with memtest.

Mel Carter

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011

I have tried pairs in the blue slots, pairs in the grey slots. Then single sticks in all four slots - all this for both sets of speed of the RAM.
I'm sure the seating of the sticks was correct.

If I can't get beyond the memory check to the POST, how do I access the BIOS? At the point I get to, there is no output to the monitor. The only signs of life are all the fans running, lights on, MemOk either on, or, when I press the MemOk button, blinking.
Unfortunately for me in the QVL in my mobo User Guide, it doesn't say whether 4Gb in one stick is compatible or not. I just wonder if anyone has got his system to boot using this particular hardware/memory combo?

beenthere

Distinguished
A couple things...

1. Mixing RAM even of the same part number is not recommended and not guaranteed to work especially for DDR3 RAM.

2. IME Asus mobos are very RAM sensitive

3. The Corsair part number looks to be incorrect. Are both RAM kits that you purchased approved for Phenom II CPUs ?

4. You will only likely be able to run one of the RAM kits reliably - if it's Phenom II approved, as different timings and frequencies is asking way too much for DDR3 RAM.

5, You might need to clear CMOS and boot with one DIMM.

Have you checked to see if your mobo BIOS supports the CPU you are trying to use?

Asus should tell you in the User's Manual and online if 4 GB. DIMMs will function in your specific mobo model.

Have you "saved" your settings yet? On some boards, a major change will freeze the post screen and instruct you to use an "f" key to access the bios, save and exit after checking the settings. Otherwise, run just one stick if you get beyond the post screen and load windows with just the one stick of ram. then you can load memtest and test each stick one at a time. My old biostar had memtest in the bios, so you didn't even need to load windows to use it. At least one stick of your ram should run by itself; the odds that all four are bad is pretty low. Board makers don't test all brands and models of ram; if your corsair is standard desktop 240 non ecc ram rated at 1.5-1.6 volts, then it should work.

Mel Carter

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
I am not mixing different RAM sticks in any way. The two sorts came boxed : the Corsair # for the faster speed (VENGEANCE) is : CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 and for the slower (XMS3) is : CMX8GX3M2A1333C9.

The CPU is compatible with the Asus MoBo. In the User Guide, although 8Gb is an allowed size, it doesn't specifically say that 2x4Gb is allowed - 4x2Gb is. I have a feeling this might be the problem.

I don't get a screen of any kind (not even bsod) so no instructions have got to me - the system will not go beyond looking for RAM. So no POST, no BIOS accessibility, just beeep, beep, beep and a red MemOk light.

Cheers

You can also reset the bios if you haven't tried it yet. Just remove the board battery with the power supply unplugged, then reinstall after a few seconds. If that doesn't work, then take the board out of the case and do a bench test on a non conductive surface. Just the cpu/heatsink, one stick of ram, keyboard, and onboard video if available. I touch the two power switch pins when it's ready to power up with a plain screwdriver. You may also check the cmos jumper to be sure it's set on the correct pins.

Mel Carter

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
Many thanks for your replies guys. I have now tried a couple of Kingston DDR3 2Gb sticks and still no joy. Have also tried resetting the BIOS, checking the on-board battery and trying various RTC jumper settings. Am now going to try stripping the system right down, and bench testing it as suggested. If that fails, it's in to my local computer shop....
Have a sinking feeling, though, that some component isn't working as it should.

Such is life!

Mel Carter

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
I've given up on this build and put it into a local compter engineer to sort out. This way I'm hoping I can use the Corsair Vengeance DDR3 modules...

Cheers

MerC

Mel Carter

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
Duh! The motherboard I bought was faulty - what you call a slot issue I suppose. This will be returned for a refund, but will they re-imburse me for the time I had to pay the engineer for? I somehow doubt it....