Windows XP work on 1155 motherboards?

Bigmac80

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
Hey does anyone know if Windows XP 64 work on the new 1155 motherboards? I wanna know cause im trying to save money on my new build..I'll be getting Windows 7 on August or so...But i wanted to know if XP works on sandy bridge platform?

Solution
I can see where some problems might arise during installation of Windows XP 64-bit. If you plan on running the SATA controller in AHCI mode and your motherboard doesn't have a diskette port with a diskette drive attached to it you won't be able to provide an AHCI driver. Also USB keyboard support may be lacking during the installation process.

Bigmac80

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
sweet thanks! nice to know i can save money on my build...not ready to upgrade yet..i do have windows 7 on my Asus G73 gaming laptop...But in some reviews i read on newegg that the motherboard didn't support window xp...i guess i'll find out when they re-release it...

I can see where some problems might arise during installation of Windows XP 64-bit. If you plan on running the SATA controller in AHCI mode and your motherboard doesn't have a diskette port with a diskette drive attached to it you won't be able to provide an AHCI driver. Also USB keyboard support may be lacking during the installation process.

Solution

voltagenic

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2010
If I was you though, just to save headaches that you may encounter after/while installing xp, I would just Install Windows 64bit and run windows xp in a virtual machine.

Bigmac80

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011

yeah i know, i have windows 7 on my gaming laptop and it's pretty good...but i game most of the time and really can't tell the difference between xp and windows 7 unless i turn on dx11 while gaming..but even in dx11 you can barely tell the difference in gaming...i just wanted to see if windows xp would work to save me $100 and put it towards a new pwr supply or something...i have a 750 pwr supply atm in my older rig but i realize that it has only two 6 pin pci-e pwr connecter and i have a gtx 295 sitting here that my friend gave me and that gtx 295 needs a 6pin and a 8pin lol...but yeah i'll be upgrading to windows 7, especially BF3 that's coming out doesn't support windows xp from what i read...