Sign in with
Your question

Upgrade to an ssd and ram or a second 5850

Last response: in Systems
November 24, 2010 4:07:36 PM

The holidays are close so I think I'll spend some money on something to make my pc a bit better.I have a stock i5 750 and 4gb ram.Now,my options are either a corsair force 60gb and 4 more gb of RAM or another 5850 to crossfire with the one I have now.Both are viabl without extra costs as I have a beefy enough psu and open ram slots.Also I intend to get a cpu cooler to oc my cpu so that it doesn't bottleneck the 2 5850s.About the things I do on my pc.Mostly gaming and very little video editing.Also my monitor is 1920x1080 and my single 5850 overclocks terribly without voltage.Which do you think is a better choice?

More about : upgrade ssd ram 5850

a b B Homebuilt system
November 24, 2010 4:43:44 PM

Since you didn't mention problems with gaming, I would go for the SSD, larger than 60GB and no RAM upgrade. Although the short term benefits will not be as great as another 5850, you should be able to carry it through several builds vs. buying a video card that has already been supplanted.
November 24, 2010 5:09:05 PM

etk said:
Since you didn't mention problems with gaming, I would go for the SSD, larger than 60GB and no RAM upgrade. Although the short term benefits will not be as great as another 5850, you should be able to carry it through several builds vs. buying a video card that has already been supplanted.

No RAM update would mean I would pretty much have the budget for both an ssd and the 5850 if I gave 50 bucks extra.The reason I was originally thinking about 8gb ram was the article here on tom's and it's recommendation of 8gb.As for gaming,I do have a few little issues like metro 2033 not maxing out with a playable framerate:D  but I may opt for the to be released 6950 or 6970 instead.As for the ssd size right now 60gb and 120gb ssds are very overpriced in my country and I don't think they make enough difference to justify spending more than 200 bucks on them.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b B Homebuilt system
November 24, 2010 11:00:45 PM

Metro 2033 is really the only RAM dependent game around (from what I hear - it ran fine on my 6GB + 2 GTX 460s), so upgrading to 8GB wouldn't do you too much good other than in that game.

If you're just planning on using the SSD ONLY as a boot drive, you only need 30-40GB, even for W7 64 bit. Obviously, you'll want a larger one for more storage.

I would try to aim for a newer GPU if you can manage to sell your old one for a decent price.
November 25, 2010 8:06:57 AM

boiler1990 said:
Metro 2033 is really the only RAM dependent game around (from what I hear - it ran fine on my 6GB + 2 GTX 460s), so upgrading to 8GB wouldn't do you too much good other than in that game.

If you're just planning on using the SSD ONLY as a boot drive, you only need 30-40GB, even for W7 64 bit. Obviously, you'll want a larger one for more storage.

I would try to aim for a newer GPU if you can manage to sell your old one for a decent price.

Currently the newer ones do not give any extra features and the 5850cf can surpass the gtx 460 sli so is there a reason for a new gpu?The only one which would be a good enough upgrade is the gtx 580 but my budget is way less than that.Well I guess we'll see when the 69xx series is rekeased.
!