Laptop stopped connecting to wireless network

Hello,
I have an HP Pavilion D6 running Windows 7. I have had no trouble connecting automatically to my wireless network at home for about 9 months. Today, however, is different. My network is listed, but it will not connect. I have not added any programs or changed any settings. Last night, fine. This morning, nothing. I have unplugged, replugged, turned off and on, rebooted,etc. until I'm blue in the face. :-) Of course, the built-in trouble shooting claims there is a wire uplugged. (Which there is not.) It also states that it cannot find the hidden network. All the lights on the modem and router (linksys)are telling me I should be connected. Any help out there?

Thanks!
8 answers Last reply
More about laptop stopped connecting wireless network
  1. See if you can connect to the router (and the internet) with an ethernet cable between your computer's networking port and the router's ethernet ports.
  2. I can get online by taking the ethernet cord from my router and plugging it into the computer. So, my laptop is connected to the modem. I'm guessing that means the modem is fine and the cord is fine. The issue must be with my router somehow?
  3. Clue may be the word "hidden" in hidden network. Log into the router's user setup screens (see literature which came with router) and in the wireless section make sure that SSID is being broadcast.

While there, also turn off anything like Access List (which filters access by MAC ID) . And I'd turn off wireless security while troubleshooting.
  4. terrilynn05 said:
    Hello,
    I have an HP Pavilion D6 running Windows 7. I have had no trouble connecting automatically to my wireless network at home for about 9 months. Today, however, is different. My network is listed, but it will not connect. I have not added any programs or changed any settings. Last night, fine. This morning, nothing. I have unplugged, replugged, turned off and on, rebooted,etc. until I'm blue in the face. :-) Of course, the built-in trouble shooting claims there is a wire uplugged. (Which there is not.) It also states that it cannot find the hidden network. All the lights on the modem and router (linksys)are telling me I should be connected. Any help out there?

Thanks!

i had almost the same problem and i found the solution! I had just to enable the DHCP.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5061881_enable-ip-addressing-dhcp-vista.html
  5. My laptop was working fine on my home wifi, until last week. It had trouble finding it, then it was invisible. Before that my fried had also those problems when he came with his laptop and mobile. I tried evertything suggested above. Then i called my internet provider and they sent IT guy (they gave me wifi routher). He could connect with his two smartphones. He was working about 50 min and was puzzled why won't work and was blaming my laptop (HP Pavilion). I called my friend to come, that also had problem connecting on my wifi and he coulnd't connect also and showed IT guy. Then he switched wifi router with new one. First time i could connect and my friend too, then i turnd off/on my connection on laptop, problem came back (also to my friend too). After that IT guy, turnd off password for wifi and it worked as charm. At the end he figured out that problem was with auto and dynamic ip addres (auto was using also dynamic) in wifi router settings (192.168.0.1). He then switched to static ip addres and it works well.
  6. I had a similar problem after upgrading to my HP laptop to Win 10 when the Wi-fi would not switch on. After trying most all remedies offered on line to no avail, I turned the computer off, disconnected power supply and removed battery for about 2 minutes allowing any residual charge to dissipate then re-assembled, booted up and all systems go. I have to admit that I have used this for a number of niggles with laptops over the years and it works more often than not, but unfortunately I forget to try this remedy first.
  7. terrilynn05 said:
    Hello,

Thanks!
  8. Aleem_ said:
    terrilynn05 said:
    Hello,

Thanks!

Ask a new question

Read More

Laptops Wireless Network Wireless Networking