840 Pro vs 840 vs Vertex 3 Max iops!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

shikiramaru

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012
guys!!! I want to change my SSD!! ( I'm currently using a 120gb OCZ Vertex 3 max IOPS )
I'm really confused about SSD specs when it comes to read and write, sandforce,MLC etc..

i want to have at least maximum capacity of 256gb, 512gb is too expensive.

i play lots of games, like COD II zombies, L2D 1-2, DOTA,LOL,SC2,Diablo, and lots of newest racing games! they all have sched when i play it..( not a gamer just having fun )

I do intensive Autocad as part of my life job and most of the time after weekend fun, i use photoshop and sony vegas,,,

doing those things at 120gb storage + 3 TB HDD is kinda hard... please help i want a very reliable SSD my vertex 3 has so many lag issue!!! i had to power off my pc and turn it back ON.

I'm eyeing on OCZ VECTOR too, but my experience on vertex 3 is very horrible....( have it for 1yr now ) can you believe it? :p

Solution
The 840 Pro is the drive to get. HardOCP reviewed a 120GB 840 recently, and basically it was very poor.
I would never trust an OCZ Sandforce drive. Maybe they've fixed their firmware issues, maybe they haven't; it's not a chance I'm willing to take, ESPECIALLY for professional use. Intel drives also score very well on reliability, even if they are generally beaten in pure performance. I also like the Crucial M4 drives.
Edit: The programs you use also like a decent amount of RAM. If you have less than 8GB, getting more could make a worthwhile difference for you.
(Assuming you're using 64bit Windows; 32bit is limited to 4GB).
The 840 Pro is the drive to get. HardOCP reviewed a 120GB 840 recently, and basically it was very poor.
I would never trust an OCZ Sandforce drive. Maybe they've fixed their firmware issues, maybe they haven't; it's not a chance I'm willing to take, ESPECIALLY for professional use. Intel drives also score very well on reliability, even if they are generally beaten in pure performance. I also like the Crucial M4 drives.
Edit: The programs you use also like a decent amount of RAM. If you have less than 8GB, getting more could make a worthwhile difference for you.
(Assuming you're using 64bit Windows; 32bit is limited to 4GB).

Solution

shikiramaru

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012

yes sir, i have 16gb of 1866 ram, my friend told me it should be enough for 3-4yrs of use, as for SSD vertex 3 max iops was a really big mistake, i was only thinking about the speed back then. now I'm hungry for reliabilty , so 840 Pro is the winner then.

thank you!!!

Please tell us about your computer. Which motherboard, cpu, memory, and video card do you have?

You mentioned using AutoCAD for professional work. AutoCad is an enterprise level application which requires a configuration that is different from desktop pc's or gaming rigs. What problems are you experiencing when using AutoCAD?

I assume your professional work is more important than gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.