Sign in with
Your question

Looking for a budget-basement World of Warcraft Cataclysm build

Last response: in Systems
November 24, 2010 4:49:22 PM

Not sure if my title was midleading or if people just chose to not answer my first query on here (hope that's not the case :-)) but i'm reposting with new title.

Hello,
I'm putting together my 1st computer and hoping it turns out to be a semi-decent gaming system. I really only play World of Warcraft (soon to be playing WoW Cataclysm). With my current system HP business model I picked up 2yrs ago from TigerDirect (KR706UT) I struggle some times in 10-man raids and almost always in 25-man content with 3-10fps. In 25s it often cripples my performance. Since the machine will not, can not w/o major renovation from what i gather, accept a PCI-e card i understand my best option would be to build a gaming system from scratch.
I will not sugar cote the matter though, I spend a lot of time on this game as of late due to my health not allowing me to work at the moment.

From my research, and the review on Toms Hardware, I'm considering the Radeon HD 5770 1GB GPU. From here i'm kind of a at a loss in a sea of information as to which most is either contradictory to or very confusing to understand if component will be compatable or even function as stated. I would like components that are trustworty and are up to at least minimum required standands to operate the system effectively. I'm hoping to not have to spend more than $500 US but if it do maybe i can trim a not so crucial area for another more critical one.
Please help. Any input on specific brand and model would be very beneficial as well. I've been researching for several weeks now and just get more confused the deeper i dive into this. My monitor is an Samsung SyncMaster 943bwx. I do have speakers, keyboard and mouse. This business system came with cd's of Microsoft Windows XP
/XPPro, Vista and Vista Business/Pro I think it's called, was hoping to be able to use this software in my new build if possible otherwise i see buying a montherboard entitles me to purchase an OEM Window's Copy.
Well I hope I've given everyone enough infomation to go on. Any assistance in this matter will be greatly appreciated.
And if my choice in graphic card is over the top for this system please recommend another. I truly enjoy the game, it oftens takes my mind off my troubles and would like to play the game as it is meant to be played. An with Cataclysm coming out, i understand the graphics are even more demanding. Currently i can't even see the new water details that were added with the previous patch and even "lag" alot when i have to be around it.
Well i'll leave this in the experts I trust on this forum to add their 2-cents (thoough my value for those 2 cents is increased exponentially.)

I would like to purchase the component on Black Friday hoping for a bit of a price reduction as well, i understant that what you may choose for the systmem may or may not go on sale, but here's hoping.
a b B Homebuilt system
a b Ý World of Warcraft
November 24, 2010 10:53:04 PM

Quote:
My monitor is an Samsung SyncMaster 943bwx

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SyncMaster-943BWX-19-inch...
Only 1440 x 900 native resolution ^^
Quote:
This business system came with cd's of Microsoft Windows XP
/XPPro, Vista and Vista Business/Pro I think it's called, was hoping to be able to use this software in my new build if possible otherwise i see buying a montherboard entitles me to purchase an OEM Window's Copy.

Yep u have to fork out for OS
Quote:
I'm hoping to not have to spend more than $500

$505AR

!