Are laptop and desktop HDD enclosure different?

Status
Not open for further replies.

deiidarax

Honorable
Feb 15, 2013
I bought this HDD enclosure from amazon called
BIPRA USB 2.0 External Caddy/Enclosure For 2.5" Laptop SATA Hard Drive
Tech details:
It says it is SATA 2.5" Hard Drive Enclosure

My laptop screen was broken so bought this and works perfectly on my laptop HDD.
But yesterday my Window XP desktop couldnt start because of blue screen error and couldnt boot in safe mode as well. The HDD enclosure fits in perfectly with my desktop HDD but it wont show up in my new laptop.So i wanted to know Are laptop and desktop HDD enclosure different? or is my Desktop HDD broken?

the enclosure wont recognized desktop HDD when i connect it to my new laptop, unlike the laptop HDD which is can be recognized as soon as i connect

my desktop HDD is Sata

deiidarax

With no offense meant, your post sounds like you are deeply confused about what that object is supposed to do. It certainly has nothing to do with your laptop screen being broken.

The enclosure is supposed to hold a 2.5" hard disk drive. You can then use a USB cable to connect the drive to either your laptop or your desktop. When it is attached to one of your machines, that machine should be able to read the files on the disk or write to it. This is useful for backups, and to move data from one machine to another.

If your desktop HDD is broken should be totally irrelevant to the external drive, unless you have gotten it infected with some horrible malware. "the enclosure wont recognized desktop HDD when i connect it to my new laptop" doesn't make sense to me, unless you have taken the drive out of your desktop and put it in the enclosure.

So, more detail would help. When you started, there was an HDD in your laptop and a different HDD in your desktop. Would both of these machines start fine when you started this process? What did you put into the enclosure? Did it come with a drive, did you buy a separate one, or did you put the desktop drive or the laptop drive into it?

What exactly are you trying to do?

We need more accurate information to answer you.

deiidarax

Honorable
Feb 15, 2013
"the enclosure wont recognized desktop HDD when i connect it to my new laptop"

I actually mean, I took the HDD out from my Desktop and connect it to the enclosure and it fits in perfectly, then i connect it to my laptop and it wont recognize the HDD.

Ok i will explain in more detail, my english is no very good
Would both of these machines start fine when you started this process?
Yes to laptop, starst fine.
No my Desktop doest start because it has blue screen error or BSOD.

Did it come with a drive, did you buy a separate one, or did you put the desktop drive or the laptop drive into it?
No it didnt come with a drive, no i didnt buy a separate one, i put my desktop and laptop HDD into it.

What exactly are you trying to do?
Trying to recover important files from my window xp desktop.
To fix the BSOD in my desktop i could just reinstall windows xp again but since i have important files I cant reinstall it because i will lose all my files. So i'm using BIPRA USB 2.0 External Caddy/Enclosure For 2.5" Laptop SATA Hard Drive which i bought from amazon to recover my files.

Nope i dont have any malware problem as i had Internet security installed.

I hope this is clear
thanks

This may help.
1) Laptop 2.5" HDD and Desktop 3.5" HDDs both use the same sata connector for power and data.
2) laptop 2.5 In HDD requires ONLY the 5 V. Desktop 3.5 " HDD requies both +5V and +12 V
3) A 2.5 " enclosure uses a 5 Volt brick, or gets it's power from the USB Port. The USB port ONLY provides 5 Volts at up to 1/2 Amp. Placing a 3.5" desktop HDD into a enclouser WILL NOT WORK unless it comes with a +12V AC Adaptor.

deiidarax

Honorable
Feb 15, 2013
no, when repairing it i might loss my files. Ah i see that i need a +12v adaptor, my enclosure comes with a usb power cable dont know what that if for though. thanks

It sounds like your desktop had a 2.5" drive, not a 3.5" drive? Is that correct?

Also, it sounds like your problem is "My desktop machine failed. I pulled out the hard drive and put it into an external USB enclosure, which I attached to a perfectly good laptop. But the laptop doesn't recognize it."

If that's the case, we've got lots of experience here. Start by telling us what you see in Device Manager and in Disk Management. We can provide directions to that if needed.

Hi, Chief.

Can you physically put it inside the enclosure? The one you describe is for a 2.5" drive. The desktop drive, being a 3.5" drive, won't fit inside even if you run it through a compactor first (which would ruin the drive). So I am still confuzled.

The USB spec limits power to 5V, 500 mA. That's 2.5 Watts. Some drives need more than 2.5 Watts (mostly older 7200 rpm drives, but some SSDs also draw more than this while writing). So the USB power cable plugs into two USB ports, giving you a max of 5 Watts.

RetiredChief's answer is correct. You need by 12V and 5V to power a 3.5" HDD, while a 2.5" HDD will run off just 5V (which can be sent via USB). I'm not sure what exactly you're trying to do. If you want to access the contents of your 3.5" HDD on another computer via USB, you'll need a 3.5" enclosure or HDD dock. Both need to be plugged into a wall socket.

deiidarax

Honorable
Feb 15, 2013
You can actually remove the front connector of 2.5 HDD enclosure easily and connect it with a 3.5 HDD. you dont need to physically put in 3.5 inside it, and it wont fit in anyway.
@solandri yea cheif is right. I think i will just buy a 12v adaptor rather than 3.5 enclosure.

NO NO
You can not just buy a +12 V adaptor for a enclosure designed for a 2.5" HDD.
If the 2.5" enclosure has a power Input (from a AC adaptor) you should see a note +5V. If you plug a +12 V in, it will NOT proved +12 V to the Drive. What You will see is "GREEN" smoke curling up.

I have NOT seen a 2.5" enclosure that takes a +12V input as NO 2.5" drive requires +12V.

Buy the 3.5" enclosure (there are some "docking" types that allow either type), and You can use a 2.5" in drive in a 3.5 inch enclosure - just not visa versa.

Back at you, WyomingKnott have a great day.
Tring to figure out how they consider part time when you work 9 and 10 hr days - LOLs

Status
Not open for further replies.