Sign in with
Your question
Solved

What am I doing wrong with installing this new hard drive?

Last response: in Storage
March 8, 2013 1:22:08 PM

So I noticed my laptop hard drive struggling and it failed the Short DST so I created the Windows 7 Recovery discs with the included HP software and swapped out my old my hard drive for one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/HGST-Travelstar-2-5-Inch-7200RPM-Internal/dp/B0097LG9U8/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1362755377&sr=1-1&keywords=hgst+travelstar

I rebooted popped in my recovery disc it says Windows Loading files but then it BSOD's and gives me a Bad_System_Config_Info error.

I checked the BIOS and while the new HD doesn't show up there but it does allow me to test it for errors? I ran Parted Magic and the new HD shows up fine there and passes SMART it just says partition unallocated? So I can't figure out if the problem is the HD, the recovery disc Boot Manager, or am I doing something wrong? I've followed this exact protocol when installing new HDs on desktop PCs and it's always worked before. Here's the specs for my laptop with the old HD for reference:

Product Name dv6-2155dx
Product Number WA781UA#ABA
Microprocessor 2.13GHz Intel Core i3-330M Processor
Microprocessor Cache 3MB L3 Cache
Memory 4GB DDR3 System Memory (2 DIMM)
Memory Max 8192MB
Video Graphics Intel HD Graphics
Video Memory Up to 1696MB
Hard Drive 500GB (7200RPM) Serial ATA-150

Best solution

a c 317 G Storage
March 8, 2013 4:30:26 PM

A recovery disk? Recovery disks cannot work without the recovery partition on the hard drive, they are not full installer disks. You need an installer disk. If you run Windows 7, download the free trial disk image from DIGITAL RIVER that is the same as your version, burn it to a DVD and then install from it. Activate with your key off the sticker on your computer.

You will need to download all of the latest drivers for your model from HP, and will also need to do the Windows updates.
March 8, 2013 5:01:01 PM

RealBeast said:
A recovery disk? Recovery disks cannot work without the recovery partition on the hard drive, they are not full installer disks. You need an installer disk. If you run Windows 7, download the free trial disk image from DIGITAL RIVER that is the same as your version, burn it to a DVD and then install from it. Activate with your key off the sticker on your computer.

You will need to download all of the latest drivers for your model from HP, and will also need to do the Windows updates.

I didn't realize the created user recovery discs didn't have the same functionality.

Is it the absence of a partition at all that's stopping the recovery or the recovery or is it the recovery partition in particular that's stopping it? I'm wondering if I can save myself a few steps and some work and to just format and create a partition.

If I need to go the trial disk route would it be enough just to activate after the install and then run the recovery and bypass the driver install or does all of that need to be done first before I can recover?

Sorry I'm a big shortcut enthusiast.
m
l
Related resources
a c 317 G Storage
March 8, 2013 5:07:54 PM

Nope, there is a bunch of installation files on that partition that you don't have.

You can no longer use the recovery disks for anything since that recovery partition and its contents are gone.

There are no shortcuts available, but at least you will get a nice clean Windows 7 install with no junk.
m
l
March 8, 2013 6:28:00 PM

Best answer selected by SoSoSam.
m
l
March 8, 2013 6:37:23 PM

I'll miss some of the Cyberlink Media Suite programs but I think I may be able to get those again from HP's site. Thanks!
m
l
!