Sign in with
Your question
Solved

$700 Gaming & workstation build

Last response: in Systems
November 24, 2010 5:02:22 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: Today through Black Friday
Budget Range: $700, After Rebates
System Usage from Most to Least Important: StarCraft2, MS Office2010, iTunes, web w/ lots of tabs and the occasional video
Parts Not Required: monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: No preference, though everything below is from newegg...
Country of Origin: USA
Parts Preferences: None
Overclocking: Maybe, in future (will buy a better CPU cooler before attempting any OC'ing).
SLI or Crossfire: Maybe, in the future (Hybrid Crossfire now?)
Monitor Resolution: two monitors @ 1680x1050
Additional Comments: See questions below...

Case $59.99 (After MIR)
Antec 900

Power Supply & RAM combo $82.98 (After MIR)
OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ600MXSP 600W
OCZ Special Ops Edition 2 x 2GB DDR3 1600

CPU & Motherboard combo $244.98
PhenomII x4 955 3.2G
ASUS M4A89GTD PRO North890GX

Video Card $99.99 (After MIR)
HIS H577FK1GD Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB

Hard Drive & OS combo $164.98
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 7200
Win7 Pro 64

DVD $16.99
LITE-ON CD/DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA Model iHAS124-04 - OEM

Total:
Before MIR: $774.91
After MIR: $669.91

Questions:
- Is there a way to save money without losing significant utility? IOW, is this over-built for the usages listed above?
- Does that memory go with that motherboard (1600 is not listed on the mobo specs)?
- Is 600W enough for this system?
- Does Hybrid Crossfire work well?
- BioStar mobo (for $25!) too underpowered for this CPU? Should I come down off the CPU?
- Are these a better price-to-performance choice for video card? (No hybrid cross fire from asus mobo with these nvidia cards, though…)
EVGA 768-P3-1360-TR GeForce GTX 460 768MB
EVGA 01G-P3-1465-AR GeForce GTX 465 1GB

- In the future, will I be able to add a bluray reader to this and watch BD movies?
- Should I expect this to be relatively noisy or quiet?

Thanks a ton for your advice; I know there's a lot of similar posts (just wanted some opinions and improvements on this particular build).

Best solution

November 24, 2010 5:54:34 PM

You could get a cheaper mobo like this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

OCZ has always been pretty flaky to me so I never recommend it but you shouldn't have any issues. Your best bet would be to check the Qualified Vendor List or call up the tech support and ask before hand.

Yes, that power supply is sufficient.

Hybrid crossfire only works with lower end cards like the 5450 and does not increase your performance by much.

That Biostar mobo would work fine but its a Micro ATX board and also you will be losing quite a bit of features (4 DIMM slots, USB3, SATA 6gb/s, crossfire capability etc).

For two monitors at 1680 x 1050 I would probably go with a 6850 or 6870 for the best price-to-performance choice.

Yes, you should have no issues with adding a blu ray drive.

The case has pretty nice airflow so it won't be completely quiet but it shouldn't be too loud. You didn't exactly pick a power house graphics card.

Edit:

Heres an alternative for you to consider. Crossfire capable and much better gaming performance. You also have a chance to unlock the triple into a quad core.
December 1, 2010 12:53:51 AM

Best answer selected by macmojo.
!