ATI Radeon HD 5770 problem...need help

G

I'm trying to help a friend who is having a problem with his graphics card.
His system is

Windows 7 Ultimate
Core i5, 760
ASUS P7H55M board
ATI Radeon HD 5770 graphics card
4 GB DDR3 Ram
1TB 32MB speed harddrive

the system was built by him.

Been working okay til now, about a month or two... It will be okay for a while when suddenly the graphics card puts lines on the screen or it will go black and the sound will get stuck.
It happens no matter what he is doing.... doing data files, working on pictures, surfing the web..

He's never had another graphics card installed so there are no drivers from any other one. He has the current drivers... (but I think that ATI has a new one out this month he hasn't done yet).

any idea how he can solve this problem. I'm afraid if he tries to return it for another one, he could end up with the same problem if it has something to do with the drivers or something else.

appreciate your help
Barbara

Timop

Distinguished
Try updating to the newest driver and see if it helps. If not, try 10.8, 10.5, 10.4, 10.3 and see if there's one that solves it.

It *could* be a defective card if it started happening just recently.

What is the PSU by the way? And is he using HDMI sound?

G

Thanks Timop, I'll ask him what his PSU is and if he's using HDMI sound and post back ...probably tomorrow by the time I find out.
Barbara

G

I was able to find out his power supply
It is 650 watt

As for the HDMI sound, he doesn't know about it. How can we tell if
this is hooked up at all? I have no clue and it sounds like he may not
either.

appreciate your help

Barbara

G

Also...question ... How do I get the confirmation email for my acct, do you know? It keeps telling me to go to email and accept it but I've gotten no email as yet
thanks,
Barbara