Sign in with
Your question

9600GT, Horrible FPS...?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
October 1, 2010 3:03:28 AM

Hi guys, i'm desperate now, and could really use your help. I'm a PC gamer running n a very low budget, and while i'm buying a new video card in November, I need some drastic help with my current geforce 9600gt.

My Specs:
AMD Phenom X4 9600 Quad Core 2.3ghz
ECS A780GM-A MOBO
4gb DDR2 RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT 512mb
Windows 7 Home Premium

My problem: Lately i've bene playing a lot of TF2 and i've been getting only 5fps, with everything turned down to medium-low. I've run multiple system fixes ranging from registry cleaners, disk defrags, registry defrags, TF2 file defrags, driver updates. Everything.

I used to always get at LEAST 40fps everything maxed with antialiasing...1920x1080 resolution no problem.

I'm in desperate need for help on this issue, I don't want to have to stop gaming for two months, I have servers to run. Any help is appreciated!

More about : 9600gt horrible fps

a c 189 U Graphics card
October 1, 2010 3:29:02 AM

umm, are you sure you can maxed out everything at 1920x1080 with 9600GT?
It doesn't make sense, 9600GT is about the same performance with GT240 which is a low end gaming card.

Check the card temps? it could be an overheating too long and make your card dying...
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
October 1, 2010 4:35:45 AM

Yeah, im positive about maxing it out. I checked the temps, a solid 50c when running TF2, it's odd because TF2 is the only game that this happens on. Before I built my nw system, this card was in an underpowered PSU system, I wonder if the damage was done from back then...I'm looking forward to my new 5850 thats for sure
m
l
Related resources
a c 189 U Graphics card
October 1, 2010 4:44:51 AM

it could be possible that your card is dying. well, make sure your card is free from dust.
If everything you did doesn't change anything then big possibility that your card is going bad.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 1, 2010 6:44:22 AM

theres no anomaly in a 9600gt maxing out TF2 @ 1080p.

I've run multiple system fixes ranging from registry cleaners, disk defrags, registry defrags, TF2 file defrags, driver updates. Everything. said:
I've run multiple system fixes ranging from registry cleaners, disk defrags, registry defrags, TF2 file defrags, driver updates. Everything.

how about reinstalling the game?
m
l
a c 172 U Graphics card
October 1, 2010 7:17:21 AM

Any chance the GPU is running on 4x or 1x lanes? Perhaps something got flipped in the bios. I'd also remove any overclocks you have just in case its that.
m
l
a c 358 U Graphics card
October 1, 2010 7:57:21 AM

I would suggest a clean install of Windows if you've everything else. Sometimes that's the easiest thing to do. There could be something within Windows that became corrupted.

I had an issue regarding not being able to use the native resolution of my 26" NEC monitor. At 1920 x 1200 all the graphics got distorted. Dropped it down to 1920 x 1080 with black bars on top and bottom to maintain the correct aspect ratio and everything looked okay. I tried several things including newer drivers, older drivers, scanning for viruses, editing the Registry. Nothing worked.

After about 2 months trying to figure it out I decided to simply do a reinstall of Windows 'cause I wanted my 120 row back. After that everything was fine.
m
l
October 1, 2010 10:23:04 AM

Quote:
Yeah, im positive about maxing it out. I checked the temps, a solid 50c when running TF2, it's odd because TF2 is the only game that this happens on.

Really? This is the only game which gets degraded performance? Well, I think you can try reinstall the game first. It could be the problem within the game.
m
l
October 1, 2010 6:55:27 PM

Yeah, it may be annoying to have to reinstall Windows, the drivers, and then the game, but if you are still having issues after that, then you can be pretty sure its your video card that is at fault. Good luck!
m
l
October 1, 2010 6:56:03 PM

Definitely reinstall the game, at the very least. If that doesn't solve the issue, reinstall Windows, install your "needed" applications first, then the game. It sounds like a software issue especially if it's just that game that it's doing it on. It might have been something else you installed recently that is doing it.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 1, 2010 7:04:08 PM

Before reinstalling the OS, I would also suggest uninstalling the drivers, running some driver cleaner utility (like Driver Sweeper) them reinstalling clean drivers. You might need to start in safe mode to do that.
m
l
!