February 20, 2011 1:17:18 AM

Hello,
My processor is currently a AMD Phenom X4 9500
My motherboard is currently...
Manufacturer: ECS
Model: Nettle3 2.1
Chipset/Southbridge: Nvidia MCP61
Graphics Card: Radeon HD 5770

I was hoping to find out if I can upgrade my CPU to an i7, b ut I can't find out if things are compatible or not, such as my motherboard.

More about : upgrading

a b à CPUs
February 20, 2011 1:25:06 AM

Hello, and welcome to THG.

Your motherboard is not compatible with the i7 CPU's.
Here are the things compatible:

5770 GPU.

That is about it. What i7 are you wanting to upgrade to?
m
l
February 20, 2011 1:28:56 AM

Ah, crap..i really want to upgrade my PC. I felt like my Graphics Card and Memory where sufficient - but I was trying to find a good Processor upgrade. The reason I wanted an i7, was because it was the one recommended by friends for gaming.

We kinda set our goal as playing Dragons Age: Origins - Awakening as our benchmark.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
February 20, 2011 1:34:56 AM

are you willing to switch pout a couple of components. To the extent of almost 1000 USD?*

*NOTE: This is an estimate. i may be able to do it around 600 USD,
m
l
February 20, 2011 1:36:33 AM

600 is more reasonable, but I think I'd have to get a tech to tell me how to switch them. Even adding the 8 GB of RAM was hard for me - and even switching out the Graphics card for the current RADEON 5770 was hard for me. So I'm not sure, how literate would I need to be, and if it's possible for a novice, I would do it with little hesitation.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
February 20, 2011 1:39:02 AM

The motherboard is an OEM motherboard. In fact, here's the specs on it:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01...

The biggest problem with OEM motherboards is the BIOS is so locked, that it's hard to upgrade them. The CPU's listed on the page are hard to find these days. Might be better off in the long run building a new system instead of trying to upgrade an OEM system.
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
February 20, 2011 1:45:45 AM
February 20, 2011 1:52:27 AM

[/quote]

A few questions -

1) The case, is it better to upgrade to that one? It looks disturbingly similar to what I currently have, even if what I have right now is a little... ratty.
2) What components do I need to pull out of my old PC to do this with what you listed? Is it better to get the PSU as well as an upgrade?
3) RAM-wise, I am not sure if my current memory is good or not. Is there a good way to check if it would transfer, or is it highly recommended to switch that over, too?

m
l
a b à CPUs
February 20, 2011 2:06:51 AM

Here is what I would recommend you switch over, ( add), from your current computer:

Cd/DVD Drive
Hard Drive
GPU ( the 5770)

I recommended the new RAM because i was not sure how old your RAM was, and what the specs were. I also recommended the new PSU and case due to size and power performance for the new unit you *may be building.
m
l
February 20, 2011 2:11:24 AM

8nods excitedly* Where in the information would I pick that up? It's newer memory - recently upgraded, but I can't remember the exact specifications. When I run CPU-Z; I get-

GENERAL:
Type- DDR2
Channels#: Dual
Size: 8192 MBytes
DC Mode: Ganged
NB Freqences: 1808.3 MHz

Under Speed, I'm getting that my Memory Slot Selection is...
DDR2
Module Size: 2048 Mbytes
Manufacturer: Kingston

I have a DXDiago on file, not sure if that helps.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 20, 2011 2:20:22 AM

Nope, this helps.

Considering it is DDR2, I would venture to guess you will need DDR3. The RAM I gave you will do great.
m
l
February 20, 2011 2:33:12 AM

*Nods* Sounds good... bit painful, but I think I can adjust my prices accordingly to handle the price. :)  Do you think I need to get assistance in putting them in the new model, or do you think I will be fine following instructions manuals? i know currently how to add Memory (zoot!) and graphics cards (Somewhat zoot?), but it is still a whole other beastwhat you've shown here. :o 
m
l
February 20, 2011 2:33:26 AM

Best answer selected by katosu.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 20, 2011 2:57:35 AM

If you think the cheaper one is better ,go for it. They are the same, just higher clock cycles.
m
l
February 20, 2011 2:58:49 AM

I don't really understand the concept of the clock cycle - is it something important?
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 20, 2011 3:01:03 AM

st how fast the CPU processes information and gets it out to the computer. If the CPU difference is about .1-.4 GHz difference, not much different. If it is about .5-1.0 GHz different, well then... :D  Go for the higher one.
m
l
February 20, 2011 3:23:51 AM

Sounds good (Sorry, I am a big bargain hunter, so I often shop around as much as possible - and this E-mail that Newegg has is amazing O.O)

Last thing, then I will call it -

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
vs

One is higher GB / lower price, but is 2-piece unit, is this good or bad compared to your 3-part unit for the lower GB?

and, this is vanial, shiny or not shiny? o.o shiny is cheeper, but can't tell if there are any composition differences, doesn't look like it.

vs
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 20, 2011 3:26:09 AM

Second on both.

The Bleu one has Triple Channel

the 300, ( not the blue one) is good enough.
m
l
February 20, 2011 3:27:52 AM

EDIT:: STrange, I must've glitched...

Also: Thank you, I will go with what you adviced. :D  Thanks again for all your help! You've been a real godsend in something I just... don't understand, lol.
m
l
!