Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New Build is not working - begging for help :-)

Last response: in Systems
November 24, 2010 8:44:40 PM

I really need your help and hope that somebody is able to assist me in this problem. I just recently built my third computer and it has been nothing but trouble so far. I started Monday morning and still am not up and running yet. At this point I am not exactly sure what the problem is to be honest - which is why I hope somebody here can help me :) 

**This is a long post but wanted to include all the details -- again thank you for any help, it is extremely appreciated **

SYSTEM SPECS:

MOTHERBOARD
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58

CPU
Intel Core i7-950 3.06GHz

RAM
Corsair XMS3 240 Pin DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)
2 Gigs X 6 Sticks for 12gigs total

GRAPHICS CARD
EVGA GeForce GTX 460 1GB

PROBLEM(S):

Where to start...

The system boots up and runs Windows, it is the errors I am getting within Windows that is the problem. To start with, when I tried installing a video game on Monday (the day I built the machine) I was getting the CRC error. I tried to install again and got the same error at the diffent point. The DVD was brand new and there were no scratches. (Windows had just installed correctly from the same drive also). I swapped that drive out and put in another and the game installed fine. Thought it was all set at that point...

Then today I was transferring some files from my old drive and suddenly got a Blue Screen of Death (never got a BSOD on my last build in the four years I used it so it was odd to see again). The BSOD error was Memory_Management. I ended up getting this error three times within the next two hours. Decided that I may have installed some wrong drivers and noticed Windows was running sluggish so figured I would just reinstal Windows 7 since I didn't have anything on the drive yet.

As I was installing Windows I got an error that files could not be read from the DVD and I had to abort and start over - frustrating but did not think much of it. I then got another BSOD this time saying Cache_Management. Finally I was able to get Windows to install and started installing my drivers one by one to try to figure out the problem. I also removed the RAM from the system and put it back in (different order) and made sure everything was in tight. Things seemed to be going along well so decided to install the video game again. This is the game that I got teh CRC errors before but installed fine when I swapped the drives. Well this time I got the CRC errors again only this time right at the end of the install.

I then moved onto testing the RAM using Memtest. Right from the start of the test I had multiple errors showing up and figured that had to be it - the memory has been bad the whole time. I let it run for 2 passes and in total had almost 1500 errors for each pass!!! (each took about one hour). Decided I would test some more, this time one stick at a time.

Each stick ran the test without any errors at all. I then tested one stick in each of the slots and still no errors at all. I then tested three slots and no errors again. Finally I tested the other three slots and the machine would not even POST. So I went back and filled in all six slots again and ran the test - this time I have no errors at all (before I had 1500 on each pass).

** ONE LAST THING **
I am not sure if this is normal or a sign it could be my MoBo. When I first plug in the powercord it takes extra time for the computer to start. I will push the power button and the fans will start then stop, then about 3 seconds later teh computer will boot normal. If I restart, shutdown/startup it is fine - this only happens each time after I have unplugged/plugged in the power cord. Is that normal???

CONCLUSION:

I am completely lost and really need your help. This is my work machine and will do what I can to have it up and running for Monday. I will be around and can run any test or post any logs that would help.

ANY HELP YOU CAN OFFER WOULD BE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED!!!

Thank You!

More about : build working begging

November 24, 2010 9:57:36 PM

JackNaylorPE said:
See this:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-ste...

Have you truid booting with only 3 sticks of memory in ?

Yes, the computer would boot when I had 3 of the sticks in, but when I put them in the opposite 3 slots it would not. The system boots fine though generally, it is the errors and blue screen problems that are what is wrong. I am thinking either memory or motherboard but have no idea - thats why I came here to the experts! :) 
Related resources
November 24, 2010 10:04:48 PM

Could be ram voltage. Could be a low yield PSU.
November 24, 2010 10:10:27 PM

what PSU do you have? ( crosses fingers it is a quality brand) i have the same mainboard and have heard ppl using all 6 slots require a higher qpi voltage and imc voltage.. are you running at stock or overclocked? have you manually set your ram timings and voltage?
November 24, 2010 10:19:00 PM

Hard Line said:
what PSU do you have? ( crosses fingers it is a quality brand) i have the same mainboard and have heard ppl using all 6 slots require a higher qpi voltage and imc voltage.. are you running at stock or overclocked? have you manually set your ram timings and voltage?

PSU is Antec Earthwatts 700. I originally ordered a Truepower but it was defective so I bought the Earthwatts yesterday as a replacement.

Everything is run at Stock. I did change the RAM in the bios to profile 1 based on info I got online but have since changed it back - it happened under both settings though.
November 24, 2010 10:31:21 PM

ok the antec should be a decent one ( most antecs are) I would manually set the ram timings and voltage along with raising qpi voltage to 1.35 and see what happens. what multiplier are you using for the uncore and what is your uncore frequency?
November 24, 2010 10:35:05 PM

Hard Line said:
ok the antec should be a decent one ( most antecs are) I would manually set the ram timings and voltage along with raising qpi voltage to 1.35 and see what happens. what multiplier are you using for the uncore and what is your uncore frequency?

Sorry, that all went over my head. Could you explain what I should manually set the ram to and how to raise the qpi. I am not sure what my multiplier is either. I am not familiar with all the backend settings but am quick to learn. Will research what I can but if you could post back that would be great also.
November 24, 2010 10:55:36 PM

first go to the memory manufacturers website and check to see what the memory timings are supposed to be. ( i tried to look up for you but they have 2 cas 7 or cas 9 ( and I don't know which ones you have)

but you want to go to M.I.T then go frequency to dram timing selectable and choose manual. after that change only the first 4 settings according to the memory manufacturer settings. after you get that done,

then hit ESC once and then go to voltages then find QPI and change auto to 1.35 hit F10 and type "y" and let it reboot then test again and let us know what happens
November 24, 2010 11:27:16 PM

Hard Line said:
first go to the memory manufacturers website and check to see what the memory timings are supposed to be. ( i tried to look up for you but they have 2 cas 7 or cas 9 ( and I don't know which ones you have)

but you want to go to M.I.T then go frequency to dram timing selectable and choose manual. after that change only the first 4 settings according to the memory manufacturer settings. after you get that done,

then hit ESC once and then go to voltages then find QPI and change auto to 1.35 hit F10 and type "y" and let it reboot then test again and let us know what happens

I think my bios settings may be slightly different, I am not able to figure out where to change the DRAM Timing.

The RAM I have is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I went to Bio > MIT >Advanced Frequency Settings. I do not see anything for dram timing, the options I have are:
- CPU Clock Ratio
- Advanced CPU COres
- QPI Clock Ratio (Set to Auto - other options are Slow Mode, x35, x44 and x48)
- Extreme Memory Profiler (XMP) - Set to Disabled with the other option being Profile 1
- System Memory Multiplier (SPD) Set to Auto with other options being 6.0, 8.0, 12.0, 14.0, 16.0, 18.0

When I go to Voltages these are my options
- QPI/Vtt Voltage (set to Auto and shows 1.175v) - I have changed that to 1.35 like you said though now.

There is also a DRAM section here
DRAM Voltage, Termination, CH-A Data VRef, Ch-B Data Vref, CH-C Data VRef, CH-A Address VRef and Ch-B and C

THANKS SO MUCH!
November 25, 2010 12:04:42 AM

Just tried installing Medal of Honor (trying to force a blue screen right now). Did not get a CRC error but instead an error stating that "The cabinet file CookedP1.cab is corrupt". This is a new DVD drive, so does this lean it towards a problem with the RAM.'

Again, the first time I ran Memtest it had over 1500 errors for the first pass. I then reseated the RAM and got 0 errors on 2 passes.
November 25, 2010 12:25:26 AM

I believe the memory errors caused the install from dvd to corrupt. I would go and run memtest again to verify you are set, then if so, uninstall the game, run ccleaner registry fix twice, then restart and reinstall the game ( provided memtest gave no errors) see what happens. Just for giggles, do you have a spare PSu to test with?
November 25, 2010 12:28:31 AM

Hard Line said:
I believe the memory errors caused the install from dvd to corrupt. I would go and run memtest again to verify you are set, then if so, uninstall the game, run ccleaner registry fix twice, then restart and reinstall the game ( provided memtest gave no errors) see what happens. Just for giggles, do you have a spare PSu to test with?

I have an Antec 520w PSU I can test with tomorrow.

Regarding the settings in the Bios that I was not able to change, based on the info I provided are you able to point me in the direction of what needs to be changed?
November 25, 2010 1:02:35 AM

** Quick Update **

I setup Memtest to run overnight and right off the bat there were 200+ errors (in the first few seconds). Strange since when I ran it for 2+ hrs earlier there were no errors reported.

I then checked the Bios and changed the XMP setting to Profile1. That changed the settings based on the details of my RAM (Seen here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...)

Memory Frequency (Mhz) 1333
DDR Voltage 1.65v
Timing: 7 7 7 20

The Default settings were
Memory Frequency (Mhz) 1066
DDR Voltage 1.5v
Timing 8 8 8 20

Running Memtest with both settings Default/Auto and Profile1 had immediate errors show in Memtest.

I currently have it running all night at the Auto settings (610 errors so far at Test 4). All six slots are filled, will I be able to tell which slots the errors are coming from in the morning?s

Thanks again for all the help, it is always appreciated!!
November 25, 2010 1:10:23 AM

try running with only 3 slots full and see what happens.. and you want to use xmp profile 1 that is the enhanced that you paid for....when only using 3 sticks, you need to make sure you fill them correctly you can't just put the ram anywhere. the manual will tell you where to put it... but basically skip the one closest to the cpu, then fill then empty then fill empty fill so in binary it will look like this 0-1-0-1-0-1 ( trying to make it easier to understand )
November 25, 2010 1:41:31 PM

I tested each stick last night for 7 passes each, all using the same slot. No problems except for one stick hundreds of errors appeared right away. Thought that was the culprit and let it run for a full pass. Then decided to remove/add the stick again in the same slot and ran the test again. This time (same stick, same slot) no errors appeared for 7 full passes.

After testing each stick I put all six back in and ran the test again. This time all the errors appeared instantly again.

I am not now testing three sticks (not including the one that did show errors) to see what results I get.

They are all the same model type, but I am not sure which three came together since I have swapped them a few times now.

Could this possible be a motherboard issue, reading the sticks wrong? I only wonder since I have run the test on all six sticks at once and got no errors and have run it and got errors. Same with that individual stick (errors right away and another time no errors for 7 passes).
November 25, 2010 2:03:59 PM

could be motherboard OR compatibility with that ram.. I have read that the X58 chipset is very picky on which ram you use.. and may work fine with 3 sticks but not with 6. which is why i suggested to try 3 sticks.. however that one stick that put out errors could be your problem...if you refuse to test with 3 sticks, then I cannot help you any further
November 25, 2010 2:11:04 PM

Hard Line said:
could be motherboard OR compatibility with that ram.. I have read that the X58 chipset is very picky on which ram you use.. and may work fine with 3 sticks but not with 6. which is why i suggested to try 3 sticks.. however that one stick that put out errors could be your problem...if you refuse to test with 3 sticks, then I cannot help you any further

Oh my, just noticed my mistake in the post. I meant to write I am NOW testing with three sticks, I didn't mean to say I am NOT testing. It is currently running memtest on the three stick setup like you suggest with no errors yet. Apologize for that.

One thing I have been looking up but could not find an answer. Is it normal for the computer to start/stop very quickly then startup normal after the psu has been unplugged? That is something that has led me to think MoBo problems - though once that happens it starts normal everytime after. So thought it may just be the motherboard getting the power after being unplugged.
November 25, 2010 3:24:23 PM

mistakes happen. lol we are human....

good to see that 3 sticks seem ok so far.... the restarting several times before starting normally is usually the sign of a bad overclock, that happens on a bad overclock on my machine (same board) like i said alot of boards are picky on what ram you use and how many slots of each type and brand....something that just occured to me.. are you running your ram at 1T? of so, try 2T when you go back to try 6 sticks of ram. let us know if you get any errors with 3 sticks
November 25, 2010 4:22:05 PM

***** UPDATE *****

I tested the three sticks (not including the one that did show errors when tested by itself, then later did not show errors when tested by itself). The three sticks tested fine with no errors. I then booted into Windows and installed some programs from DVD's and they all installed fine - no CRC errors which had been happening before.

I then decided to test the other three sticks to see if errors came back. First it would not boot into memtest at all. I then removed and placed them again and it did boot into memtest but returned no errors in 5 passes.

I am now confused, because sticks that seem to show errors then come back with no errors at all if run again. Does this sound more like a problem with the motherboard at this point? Maybe the slots are not working correctly which is why sometimes errors are being shown in memtest and other times they are coming back fine?

Thinking I may just RMA the RAM and the MoBo and start over at this point - more headaches so far than I ever imagined....
November 25, 2010 4:24:09 PM

Hard Line said:
mistakes happen. lol we are human....

good to see that 3 sticks seem ok so far.... the restarting several times before starting normally is usually the sign of a bad overclock, that happens on a bad overclock on my machine (same board) like i said alot of boards are picky on what ram you use and how many slots of each type and brand....something that just occured to me.. are you running your ram at 1T? of so, try 2T when you go back to try 6 sticks of ram. let us know if you get any errors with 3 sticks

I am not sure about running the RAM at 1T or 2T, is that something I check in the Bios?

I am not overclocking anything and don't plan to either. The thing with the motherboard is after pluggin in the power supply and hitting power on the computer you hear the fans start up, then a few seconds later you hear them stop. A few seconds after that the computer starts up perfectly fine and will continue to shutdown and restart correctly until I pull the plug again. So it only happens after first plugging in the power plug. Another reason I was wondering if maybe the motherboard could be a problem also at this point.
November 25, 2010 5:56:25 PM

I went to newegg and read some of the reviews. A lot of people have issues with memory on that board. Send it back now if you can. I'd look for something else but if you look, these boards ( 1366 ) seem to be real losers compared to boards in the past.

Best solution

November 25, 2010 6:02:07 PM

it wouldn't hurt to rma the board.. but I agree that memory has been known to have issues on that board esp rev 1 with older bios.. i have rev 2 with newest bios and have no issues I am also using mushkin ram
November 25, 2010 8:41:33 PM

I am going to RMA the board and the RAM while I still can to just play it safe I think. Is there another board or RAM that is suggested as a replacement to this for an i7 machine? I will not be overclocking and will be running one graphics card (EVGA GTX 460).
November 25, 2010 9:14:33 PM

I do suggest different ram I would say g.skill or mushkin.. I know those brands have not shown to have issues esp when compared to corsair ( normally doesn't) and OCZ
November 25, 2010 9:26:39 PM

Hard Line said:
I do suggest different ram I would say g.skill or mushkin.. I know those brands have not shown to have issues esp when compared to corsair ( normally doesn't) and OCZ

You mentioned using the same board with Mushkin RAM, could you let me know which type you have on yours? I always used Crucial before this build and was thinking of that as an option also. Though if you could recommend your Mushkin RAM that would be great.

Thanks again for all your help
November 25, 2010 9:46:24 PM

Thanks. The fact that it works for you with the same board is worth the extra cost to me. I will be contacting NewEgg tomorrow morning to RMA the board and RAM and to switch to the Mushkin RAM instead. I also need to send back a PSU that I originally ordered that got delivered DOA and I ended up buying the Antec locally instead. Did not have great luck with this order :) 

* EDIT *
Just realized that RAM is out of stock on Newegg. Any other recommendations? :)  Will research it myself in the morning.
November 25, 2010 11:06:25 PM

I would think the silverline should be good too I think they use the same chips. . not sure what chips the redlines are using, but they may be worth the wait depending. the cas 6 and 1600mhz is what sold me on them

I really can't praise them enough also they run at 1T while alot of ram out is cas 7-9 ( alot at 9) and 2T going from 2T to 1T is like going down 1 cas number ( if i remember correctly)

if you have any question on raid ( there are alot of ppl saying there are issues with raid on this board) however I think I found the mistake ppl are making when they say it doesn't work.. if you don't plan to use raid, then you can ignore that part lol ( I use raid 10 )
November 26, 2010 12:14:51 PM

I ended up with the Silverline kit (3X4gb) for 12gb in three slots since the Redline was not available anywhere.

Newegg customer service was great and setup the RMA's for me with no restocking fee or shipping charges. Now hopefully I can get my machine up and running correctly in about two weeks when the new items arrive.

Thank you very much for you help everyone, especially Hard Line. I really appreciate you trying to help!
November 26, 2010 12:22:15 PM

You are welcome that is what we are here for.... don't forget to choose best answer when it gets resolved. did you rma the board as well? or just the ram?
November 26, 2010 12:26:53 PM

Did and RMA for the RAM and Board. The board I am swapping out for another one of the same model, the RAM I am refunding then ordering the Silverline version.

The RAM comes highly recommended on the Mushkin boards by one of their employees who guarantees it works with this board. I did a lot of reading last night and found many horror stories about getting RAM to work with this board, so the fact that I know they have tested it with good results makes me comfortable ordering it. I was going to go with a different board but figure will try this RAM with it instead - otherwise it seems to be a very good board to use.
November 26, 2010 12:27:35 PM

Best answer selected by adam533.
November 26, 2010 12:28:17 PM

One last question Hard Line. When my new board comes would you suggest updating the BIOS right away to the latest version?
November 26, 2010 12:32:07 PM

I say yes. and the reason is that one of the newer bios' improves memory compatibility
November 26, 2010 3:36:30 PM

Dude, something I didn't do is check the memory for the board. This link shows the board to run with 1.5 volt memory. If the older version does and you're trying to run 1.65 volt memory you could be running into trouble...

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1473/1/
November 26, 2010 3:59:08 PM

that is not true... that article only mentions the default voltage fro the jedec spec for ram. alot of high performance ram runs at 1.65v with no issues. the memory controller is on the i7 cpu so the mainboard makes no difference in that matter you would have issues on every mainboard if that was the case

my mushkin ram runs at 1.65v with no issues as a matter of fact I am running the ram at 1.68 1680mhz 6-8-6-21 timings with no issues Also I am running the uncore a little over 3800mhz again no ill effects
November 26, 2010 5:02:14 PM

I'm not groveling for best answer only the right answer. What works for you might not be right for him. Could change the game completely.
November 26, 2010 5:31:23 PM

I understand. however your info is inaccurate. the memory controller is on the cpu. in which case which mainboard he uses has nothing to do with the dimm voltage. ALL mainboard are default to 1.5v on dimms up to 1333mhz (Jedec specs) after which you need to use the XMP profile or manually set the timings and voltage. 1.65v dimms are not going to be a compatibility issue. keeping in mind somethins you need to increase the QPI as well ( which the XMP profile will do )

I read through that review ( of my board) that you posted and nowhere did i read that 1.65v ram would be an issue. if you did find that in that review could you point me to it? I did read that he had problems overclocking a crappy C0 i7 920... however he never mentions what voltages he is using so he could just not be familiar with the intricacies with i7 overclocking.
!