Sign in with
Your question

How? One Box backup and storage with 8 drives

Last response: in Storage
March 8, 2013 7:51:34 PM

I cannot afford a RAID controller. Performance is not that important.

i am building a new PC with capacity for 8 drives and I want to use 4 of them for use and the other 4 for backup. But i also only want to deal with 1 drive letter so that i don't have to manage the space. JBOD sounds okay, but if my OS drive, a seperate SSD, fails, then do i loose the drives? If so, then how do i accomplish this?
a b G Storage
March 11, 2013 1:57:53 AM

This depends on the OS you are running. If you are using Win 8 then you can pool the first 4 for storage and pool the second 4 for backup. If you keep an updated restore image of your OS disk(s) you can recover the system as long as you can restore the system OS boot disk.

The problem with Win 7 is that it does not provide for pooling storage. You may find such pooling in Windows Server 2008 or 2012.

I can't help you with other OSs.
m
l
March 11, 2013 9:55:58 AM

chesteracorgi said:
This depends on the OS you are running. If you are using Win 8 then you can pool the first 4 for storage and pool the second 4 for backup. If you keep an updated restore image of your OS disk(s) you can recover the system as long as you can restore the system OS boot disk.

The problem with Win 7 is that it does not provide for pooling storage. You may find such pooling in Windows Server 2008 or 2012.

I can't help you with other OSs.

I am going to run Windows 8, which can use Storage spaces. I was hoping that backing up the OS would work, so it's nice to see someone else originate it.

I know you can't comment on windows 8, but can you elaborate on how a restore would go after loosing the OS drive and reinstating a backup image of that drive.

m
l
Related resources
!