cmos battery keeps dying

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
February 1, 2005 1:57:20 PM

I have a customer with an IBM laptop, I have replaced the CMOS battery
twice. does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be causing
this. The laptop seems to work for several weeks before it dies. It
reads .4 volts dc (3v required).

More about : cmos battery dying

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 1, 2005 2:19:19 PM

On 1 Feb 2005 10:57:20 -0800, "norwedsh" <easy.pc@comcast.net> wrote:

>I have a customer with an IBM laptop, I have replaced the CMOS battery
>twice. does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be causing
>this. The laptop seems to work for several weeks before it dies. It
>reads .4 volts dc (3v required).

U have an almost-short somewhere. How good are you with an ohmeter?
There is some guy who hangs around here who reportly is in the
business of fixing laptops.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 2, 2005 1:57:34 AM

norwedsh wrote:
> I have a customer with an IBM laptop, I have replaced the CMOS battery
> twice. does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be causing
> this. The laptop seems to work for several weeks before it dies. It
> reads .4 volts dc (3v required).

Model of the Thinkpad?

Could be an internal short on the MB.

Regards,

James
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 17, 2005 11:11:51 PM

Thanks,

I had suspected soldering the connections to the battery was the cause,
required for this model. I don't have the paperwork available, I think
it's a R31. Customer is currently just entering date and time into BIOS
to use the lapltop.
!