Sign in with
Your question

Which i5 processor

Last response: in CPUs
February 20, 2011 12:42:57 PM

Initially i had planned to buy an i7 950, now i have learnt that the i 5 2500k offers a superior speed which is more important for gaming.My main purpose is gaming and watching movies i wont be using multiple apps so there probably is no necessity for hyper threading. could some one suggest the top 2 or 3 processors in the i5 category along with their amd counter parts ..

thank you :D 

More about : processor

a b à CPUs
February 20, 2011 1:10:29 PM

Well, i5-2500k vs AMD 1100T (the highest 6 core you can buy right now from AMD)

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/288?vs=203

Then, i5-2500k vs AMD 970BE (Next to the highest 4 core CPU you can get from AMD)

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/288?vs=186

For the newest Intel tech, the i5-2500k is unlocked and is the highest one they have at the moment unless you get the i7-2600k. Also keep in mind Intel has provided an unlocked multiplier on all K models, so you can slap on a good aftermarket cooler and overclock the 2500K/2600K around 4.6 stable on air cooling.

Until AMD releases Bulldozer soon, AMD cannot compete in performance or price with the new Intel i5/7. If you don't need hyperthreading then the i5-2500K is the highest to go. And so far nobody knows if Bulldozer will be able to compete with the new Intel chips at all, everything is speculation.

If you choose to go with a previous version i5/7, you might as well get the AMD 975 or 1100T because the last generation i5/7 is way too expensive. Even the i7-980 has trouble competing with the new i5-2500k. And it cost around $1000. The 2500K is less than 1/4 the cost.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/288?vs=142
a b à CPUs
February 20, 2011 1:12:18 PM

BTW, I didn't mention the cheaper non K model, but it is the same at stock speeds... buying a K will let you overclock safely so you can bump it up a little in the future instead of buying a new CPU.

If you want the cheapest, there will be a new i3-2100 coming soon and in the benchmarks it is still similar to the i7-980, only about 15% slower but probably will be 1/8 the cost.
Related resources
February 20, 2011 1:24:19 PM

1965ohio said:
BTW, I didn't mention the cheaper non K model, but it is the same at stock speeds... buying a K will let you overclock safely so you can bump it up a little in the future instead of buying a new CPU.

If you want the cheapest, there will be a new i3-2100 coming soon and in the benchmarks it is still similar to the i7-980, only about 15% slower but probably will be 1/8 the cost.

is n't rather stupid to put processors 1/8 the cost of the i7 980 with a speed only 15% slower ,what features do the i 7 processors offer other than a slightly superior speed and hyper threading and will these features make the quality of gaming better?
February 20, 2011 1:27:00 PM

Quote:
the 2500k is the best bang for buck option at the moment. Got turbo which is a good feature for gaming. Overclocks like a beast and blows anything from AMd out the water.

is air cooling enough for over clocking? if so please suggest a few good fans i am going to by the master cooler 922.
a b à CPUs
February 20, 2011 1:32:36 PM

As answered in your other thread, they only offer triple channel memory and multiple full PCIe x16 lanes. And it is normal for the cost of CPUs to be this way. Intel was selling Pentium 4 Extreme Editions for $1500 while the Core 2 Duo came out shortly after and blew it away on everything.

The new i3/5/7's you are seeing are meant for mainstream use. There is another new socket coming for the Sandy Bridge i7's called LGA2011. It will have the next generation of $1000 CPUs because it will be faster, have more cores, more PCIe lanes and quad channel memory support.

It isn't strange at all that the new i3-2100 will beat a lot of last generation Extreme Edition CPUs, it's the nature of the market.

I always say spending $200-300 for the CPU is best when building a new computer. Just remember that buying the $1000 CPU today, that the next years $200-300 range will beat it. Buying a CPU under $200 is last years junk, buying a CPU over $300 it will be next years junk. Spending $200-300 will generally be best bang for the buck and have the most longevity in the CPU upgrade cycle.
a b à CPUs
February 20, 2011 1:35:29 PM

Air cooling is good enough for the newest Sandy Bridge CPUs because they are insanely cool. Even my AMD x4 965 is a quad core with stock speed of 3.4GHz, and I usually overclock it to 3.8 GHz on the stock fan with only a 4 degree temperature increase under load.

The beauty of buying a 2500k or 2600k is that you can use it on the stock fan today and have better performance and low temps compared to the last generation chips. And when the day comes that it feels slow for you, then throw out the stock cooler and get just about any good brand with heat pipes and a large silent fan and you will be humming on 4.6 GHz and not have a space heater next to you like the Pentium 4.
February 20, 2011 1:44:22 PM

1965ohio said:
Air cooling is good enough for the newest Sandy Bridge CPUs because they are insanely cool. Even my AMD x4 965 is a quad core with stock speed of 3.4GHz, and I usually overclock it to 3.8 GHz on the stock fan with only a 4 degree temperature increase under load.

The beauty of buying a 2500k or 2600k is that you can use it on the stock fan today and have better performance and low temps compared to the last generation chips. And when the day comes that it feels slow for you, then throw out the stock cooler and get just about any good brand with heat pipes and a large silent fan and you will be humming on 4.6 GHz and not have a space heater next to you like the Pentium 4.

thank a ton... :p 
!