NZXT sentry II temperature probes...

ashammay

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2010
I want to buy an NZXT Sentry II fan controller, but I have a question before I purchase it. Can I use one of the temperature probes to accurately measure my cpu temperature? And if so, How??

cluelessONE

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
this im sure you wont be able to measure the cpus temperature directly, because the probe shouldnt be attached in between the heatsink and cpu, because it may cause damage(as intrustion maunal says) maybe probably cuz the heat may be high enough to melt the film on the probe, but not so sure, so the closest cpu temperature youd be able to get with the sentry is the heat gathered by the heatsink from the cpu, so if your heatsink takes off a lot of heat from the cpu the reading might be just 5-10 degrees off (celsius) different depending on how you attach the probe and the type of heatsink

otherwise, if your in os, then you can just use speedfan or something like that to measure cpu temps

ashammay

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2010

Ahhh I see. Good point. Well then let me ask this...What would be some practical uses for the temperature probes? Where would you put them?? What would you monitor the temps of???

cluelessONE

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011

yup jacknaylorPE is right, even though they dont really give you the exact temperature of the component itself (except hd) you would get used to how to measure the heat from the component from just giving some space on measurements,

im using the scythe kaze master fan controller right now, (well i think thats what its called) and it gives pretty accurate temps from the probes, i just have to add a little,

the probes i stuck on the surface of the hd, the back of my video card(gtx460 TR version i think) cuz its covered by a case thingy, and i stuck one on the cpu hs too, (full copper zalman cooler)
the hd gets readings up to 50C on the controller, and when i see it on speed fan it gets 49-52c or close to that, works pretty nice

hehe>>