Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Can my build fit in a mid-tower?

Last response: in Systems
Share
November 25, 2010 1:50:21 AM

CPU: Intel Core i7 950 Processor

MOBO: ASUS Sabertooth X58

GPU: EVGA 012-P3-1470-AR GeForce GTX 470

RAM: CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333

HDD: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM

PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W

Case: I'm looking to use the COOLER MASTER Storm Scout SGC-2000-KKN1-GP Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case. It is a Mid sized computer case so I want to make sure I can fit these parts in here before I start ordering them.

I don't plan on doing SLi/Crossfire in the future. I wanted to, but realized I wasn't going to need it because I'll only be using one monitor.

I picked GTX 470 because I planned on going SLi but now that I changed my mind, what other GPU should I get?

I also downgraded my PSU from a 750W to a 550W. Will 550W be enough for this build?

I saw that Gold certified PSU are more expensive than others. Can anyone explain to me the benefits of a Gold certified PSU? Gold certified PSU also has higher wattage than others. I couldn't find a single Gold PSU with 550W. How come?

More about : build fit mid tower

Best solution

November 25, 2010 2:14:39 AM

550W gold psu http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Answers to the 80 plus ratings http://www.plugloadsolutions.com/80PlusPowerSupplies.as...

Not sure about the case, it looks like all would fit. I would go for the cm-922

Keep the GTX 470 its a good GPU for a rez of 1080
Share
November 25, 2010 2:30:21 AM

Are Cooler Master HAF really that good? gkay recommended CM HAF as well but at that time, my eyes were tricked by the NZXT Phantom's unique look. I actually thought that case was gorgeous but the more I looked at it, uglier it became lol..

I basically spent hours looking for a case on Newegg. Came across a couple which I liked: Antec 1200, CM HAF 942, and CM Storm Scout.

I just checked out CM HAF 922 and I'm impressed by their looks. Whats even better is that the 922s are Mid-Tower. I think I'm going to do a little research on 922s to see how good they are.

PS- Will I have way too much space left over if I went with a Full Tower case with my build? IDK why but my build feels so tiny xD
m
0
l
Related resources
November 25, 2010 2:36:18 AM

The Antec 900 and 1200 are good cases also as well as the CM-922 and 932, if you have room for a full size case it dont madder if there is alot of room left in it, it will help with air flow.
m
0
l
November 25, 2010 2:42:48 AM

Niklas_13 said:
The Antec 900 and 1200 are good cases also as well as the CM-922 and 932, if you have room for a full size case it dont madder if there is alot of room left in it, it will help with air flow.


Yes the Antec cases are nice as well, but I think I'll go with the CM. CM HAF 922 with the military look made me fall in love at first sight..

Do you know when the CM HAF 922 first came out? Because they have the USB2 ports, not 3s. Won't really matter because I can just use the USB3 ports from my motherboard, right?
m
0
l
November 25, 2010 2:49:36 AM

skitsofrenic said:
Yes the Antec cases are nice as well, but I think I'll go with the CM. CM HAF 922 with the military look made me fall in love at first sight..

Do you know when the CM HAF 922 first came out? Because they have the USB2 ports, not 3s. Won't really matter because I can just use the USB3 ports from my motherboard, right?


Yeah you can use the onboard USB3 ports fort your HDD ECT

m
0
l
November 25, 2010 2:55:52 AM

So I basically made up my mind to go with the Cooler Master HAF series.. As nice and mid-sized the 922 is, I feel kinda skeptical because it is a little bit old case.

Although I really don't need a Full Tower case, my spoiled self really wants the 942..

Hmmmmmmmmmmm
m
0
l
November 25, 2010 3:02:23 AM

skitsofrenic said:
Nice~ Are you using SLi/Crossfire to be using the 750W PSU?



Well when i built the system with plans to xfire in a year, now a year is up and work is slow :(  and my 3 kids need food more then i need a 2nd GPU so no lol. Sucks being a IronWorker in Cal atm :) 
m
0
l
November 25, 2010 3:11:10 AM

Best answer selected by Skitsofrenic.
m
0
l
November 25, 2010 3:13:36 AM

Niklas_13 said:
Well when i built the system with plans to xfire in a year, now a year is up and work is slow :(  and my 3 kids need food more then i need a 2nd GPU so no lol. Sucks being a IronWorker in Cal atm :) 


LOL I see~~ I can see that happening to me as well if I start with a 750W PSU in for SLi/Crossfire in the future.. even though I have no kids :kaola: 
m
0
l
!