Status
Not open for further replies.

Atotalnoob

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
Hey guys! I am looking for 2 SSDs to pick up, within the next week, or two. I have a 250$ budget, for one, and a 150$ budget for the other. I was looking at the Mushkin Callisto drives. But am willing to take suggestions.... (120gig) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226152&cm_re=mushkin_ssd-_-20-226-152-_-Product ~ 235.99

(60gig) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226151 ~ 129.99

Both systems have a 1 TB drive in them. So this is a boot drive/essentials...

I'd prefer from newegg, but I'll buy from Amazon, Tigerdirect, overstock....

I don't have SATA 3 in my system...

Thanks all! ~Atotalnoob

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

I've done a great amount of research and came up with a "best deal" for the S599 64GB. Not big enough? Do RIAD 0. Really, two drives are faster than one.

I think what he means... Correct me if I'm wrong crash, If you get a single 128/120gb/100gb SSD, just get two 64gb SSDs and put them in RAID-0. In theory that is actually cheaper. Two S599's 64gb are cheaper than their 128gb counterpart.

Really Crash? I've never seen Tom's test out the S599 is there a review here? Lol the only one I've found is the Guru3d one, gawd I love the A-Data now.

Atotalnoob

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
lol, I think I am going to go with the OCZ 2 drive, the MTBF is 2M hours on the mushkin drive, compared to 1M and 1.5M does this have any bearing? lol.... 1M hours is more then 120 years....

But thanks for the suggestion on the 2 drives, definitly goin' with that!

Edit:
Go 4-drives in RAID 0?
not possible, the one computer only has 4 SATA inputs, one for DVD, another for the storage drive, and then my SSD..... The other already has 2 drives in RAID, DVD, and Blu-ray..... leaves 2 left...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

Ouch. All my boards have six SATA ports from the chipset...never even thought about a board that has less.

Hmm.... I think you should stick with your Mushkin, as screwy said, there's not going to be a huge difference between them. Both have the same controller as such we've seen SF vs SF always on par, there is no difference that is noticeable. I also think you should really look at that S599 since it's cheaper, marginally but still cheaper. I mean the OCZ is great, but did cha look at the comparison MAN it is faster than the Vertex 2.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/adata-s599-100gb-ssd-review/11

Look alll the way at the bottom is the Vertex 2 XD

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

I'm not familiar with the "more writes" concept, could you provide more detail?

basically SSDs have a limited lifespan. the more times a particular memory space is written to, the slowed the SSD becomes. TRIM helps with that, but RAID, because it rewrites a lot to make drives match, tends to shorten the already short 3-5 year lifespan of an SSD

Atotalnoob

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
Hmmm, I did a quick bit of research on what Squirrel said, and I think he is right, so I think I'd sacrifice the RAID for the 120 gig Mushkin SSD.....

PS. It is so much easier to spend other people's money.... Decisions, decisions....

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Really? It rewrites information that has not been modified by a program? I've never heard that, is there any place I can research the problem?

Atotalnoob

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
Hmm, I like it... but the reviews on Newegg, more then half of them have Manufacture responses.... usually because it was DOA/defective.... not a good thing....

I looked on Amazon and Tigerdirect.... can't seem to find anything else about it, at least on reviews.

basically, there is no TRIM support for SSD in RAID configuration in Windows 7.

http://www.pureoverclock.com/article917.html
There are a couple drawbacks to configuring SSDs in a RAID setup, so the speed boost does come with a significant tradeoff; primarily, the lack of TRIM support in Windows 7.

so its like going back to a first gen SSD. great until if gets full. RAID 1/5 speeds that up because of Mirroring. RAID 0 isn't mirroring, but you still lose TRIM.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
RAID 5 is striping with distributed parity, RAID 0 is striping without distributed parity, so how does RAID 5 help the drives?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I understand that TRIM erases cells that are no longer being used, in advance, to make rewriting those cells faster. I also understand that wear-leveling algorithms on the drive itself decide which cells will be the next to be written, to increase drive longevity. What I'm having a hard time understanding is how erasing a cell in advance makes a drive last longer than if its erased on-the-fly, since the same write operating is taking place?

Atotalnoob

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
Hey guys! I placed my order, went with the G.skill, and the cheaper Mushkin.... thanks all for you input and suggestions!! (thanks aznshinobi =D)

P.S. I am still interested in what Squirrel has to say about the SSDs in RAID..... =p

Status
Not open for further replies.