Need to upgrade Dell E520 Graphics card

Status
Not open for further replies.

joebas

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
Hello,
I have a Dell E520 with 4GB of RAM and the original ATI x1300 256mb video card. I DO NOT play any games. I am a photographer and I want to upgrade to a better/faster video card to process my RAW files into jpegs. I also occasionally edit standard definition video and burn to DVDs (which I did with this computer setup). Looking for a new card seems very confusing. Can someone direct me to a card sub $75.00 that would be a worth the cost for the increased and faster performance over what I have now. Thank you!
Joe

joebas

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010

It has a E6400 2.13 ghz core duo-conroe (whatever that means, LOL!!)

Actually, depending on what OPs doing a GPU upgrade will help. If the OPs doing a lot of real-time previewing with filers (think filters in Sony Vegas) the X1300 may be a bit too weak.

I'v had this problem a long while back where I tried to use a ATI All-in-Wonder 9200 with Vegas (6.x IIRC) and it was problematic in the sense that previewing lagged like hell after applying effects,etc. Upgrading to a better GPU fixed this lag. And no, this preview rendering had nothing to do with the CPU & RAM limitations.

I think OP is lagging in something like this.

It only took a bios update to make the G965 quad capable, Dell put Quad's in the XPS 410 ( same chipset ) and many people have upgraded thier E520's with them, not really worth it unless the chip can be found cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.