November 25, 2010 4:29:43 AM

hi guys trying to put together a $500-600 build

oc,crossfire in future

atm i got

Phenom X4 955 for $135 with combo

Asus 790x EVO + corsair 650tx for $150 n $40 in rebate so $110

looking at xfx radeon 5830 for $169

case want a white one because my 22" aoc monitor is white preferably mid tower

i had a question about HD these two as about same price which one would you recomend?

Western Digital Caviar Black WD5001AALS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" $59

or

Samsung Spinpoint F3 500gb for $54

im so bumbed that i didnt buy the samsung spinpoint f3 1tb for $54 yesterday grrrrr

all products on new egg

More about : build

November 25, 2010 4:47:58 AM

1) Take your pick on the hard drive.

2) Look for the Antec designer 500. It comes with a nice 500w psu. It is the same as the Antec solo, except it comes in white. I have used the similar Antec P150 before, and the white is really impressive. It is discontinued on newegg, but perhaps you can find it elsewhere:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

m
l
November 25, 2010 4:55:20 AM

Does the 16mb cache on samsung and 32mb cache on WD make a big difference between the two? and does anyone know seek time on WD?

and i searched for white cases and white is too hard to find at a good price so any case that best fit my budget, the one i saw was NZXT GAMMA CLASSIC for $39
m
l
Related resources
November 25, 2010 5:00:29 AM

I do believe those 2 HDDs have similar performance, though I don't know much.

Get a black case, then paint it...if your into case modding? :) 
m
l
November 25, 2010 5:23:12 AM

yea was thinking bout that wolygon but ill prob just get a black case n let it be

btw guys ive been thinking twice about my mobo

im not sure if asus 790x evo is better than asrock 870 extreme3 only thing attracting me to asrock is that is SATA 6gb/s and usb 3.0 and im not sure whether or not asus is the same

im just curious whether or not SATA 6gb/s and usb 3.0 that big of a deal? i mean i will use this computer for gaming and school research n excel and prob build a new computer in 3-5years? am i going to be future proofing my self with asrock or asus is enough?
m
l
November 25, 2010 7:12:01 AM

Do you see your self running high performance SSDs before you replace the PC? If so it may be beneficial to get SATA 6Gb/s.

Do you frequently deal with large external HDDs, HD camcorders or other external sources of large amounts of data? If not you probably don't really require USB 3.

The ASUS will probably be a better OCer and maybe overall better quality.
m
l
November 25, 2010 3:36:51 PM

Wolygon said:
Do you see your self running high performance SSDs before you replace the PC? If so it may be beneficial to get SATA 6Gb/s.

Do you frequently deal with large external HDDs, HD camcorders or other external sources of large amounts of data? If not you probably don't really require USB 3.

The ASUS will probably be a better OCer and maybe overall better quality.

^ Good advice.

The cache on a hard drive is not a useful indicator of performance.

All 7200rpm drives will have exactly the same search component of seek. The arm movement component may vary, but essentially, the seek time will be about the same. Larger, denser drives may do a bit better, because more data can be accessed without arm movement.
m
l
!