Creaks in case

loosley

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2011
Hi everyone,

I have a new system that I built in a Corsair 600T. The system seems to be working fine, but occassionally I will hear it creak. The sound it makes is a metal "tick" noise, and I suspect thermal expansion. I noticed that it will creak when the DVD or hard drive spins up and runs for a while, or even if the system is turned on and I just wait a few minutes. I also occassionally hear it creak/tick a few minutes after I turn it off. What I am hearing are single creaks, not an ongoing ratting or squeaking. I opened up the case and made sure everything was tight, and the drives were not loose.

As I mentioned, I have a suspicion that this is caused by thermal expansion. Should I be concerned about these creaks? As I mentioned, the PC seems to be running fine...

Solution
You answered your own question when metal heats up it expands and as it cools it contracts. Perfectly normal all my cases do that to some extent or another.

loosley

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2011
I should have clarified that it happens after a few minutes after the drives spin up. i.e. Drive is running fine for a while before I hear something. And since I have heard it even when the drives are not running, perhaps drive in use/not in use is just incidental.

But if just thermal expansion type noises are fairly normal, then I guess I don't have to be concerned.