Closed Solved

FFXIV Low benchmark. Thoughts on what to upgrade?

I'm hoping to get some help with my rig to run FFXIV. Its a couple years old, but I'm hoping its possible to do some upgrades that will make the game more playable.

Dell XPS 630I

Intel Core2 QUAD CPU Q6600 @ 2.4GHZ 2.4 GHZ
4 GB RAM
32 bit OS

2 x NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTs

I'm getting a score 1630 on high and 2430 on low. I noticed that when I turned the settings way down in the actual game the user interface got a lot smoother and thats what I'm mainly after.

I was thinking maybe upgrading the GPUs, but I'm not sure if that's too complicated (or expensive) with the SLI setup.

My budget would be ~ $500 and I'd really like something that isn't going to sound like a car engine.

Do you guys have any recommendations? I'd really like to avoid buying a new rig since I use it mostly for FFXI and now hopefully FFXIV.

Thanks for all the help!
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about ffxiv benchmark thoughts upgrade
  1. I just ran it on my E8400+GTX260 and got 2724 on high and my card should get lower results. Here is a few possibilities that could explain those results:
    Driver problems
    OS problems
    Benchmark utility is not compatible with SLI
    The 8800s are 512MB and with AA/AF, the memory gets saturated
    The game is optimized for fewer cores, greater clock speed would be preferable, have you tries OCing?

Have you tried other benchmarking utilities to rule-out the FF benchmark being crappy?
  2. Best answer
    Unless you manually hack sli to work, it definitely does not work with the stand alone benchmark.
    You can google how to get that going, I tried it. You have to move d3d9.dll to the data folder and then rename the FFIV.exe to Crysis.exe and both gpu's were loaded.
  3. Best answer selected by Frizzit.
  4. Thanks. I was thinking I should be getting higher even with the older cards since they were in SLI. I'm definitely no genius on this stuff tho.

Apprecaite the help. I'll see how smooth I can get the game to run in forced SLI and hopefully wont have to ask for more upgrade advice. The game is beautiful but a hugue resource hog.
  5. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Benchmark Graphics