Sign in with
Your question
Closed

FFXIV Low benchmark. Thoughts on what to upgrade?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 1, 2010 10:18:35 PM

I'm hoping to get some help with my rig to run FFXIV. Its a couple years old, but I'm hoping its possible to do some upgrades that will make the game more playable.

Dell XPS 630I

Intel Core2 QUAD CPU Q6600 @ 2.4GHZ 2.4 GHZ
4 GB RAM
32 bit OS

2 x NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTs

I'm getting a score 1630 on high and 2430 on low. I noticed that when I turned the settings way down in the actual game the user interface got a lot smoother and thats what I'm mainly after.

I was thinking maybe upgrading the GPUs, but I'm not sure if that's too complicated (or expensive) with the SLI setup.

My budget would be ~ $500 and I'd really like something that isn't going to sound like a car engine.

Do you guys have any recommendations? I'd really like to avoid buying a new rig since I use it mostly for FFXI and now hopefully FFXIV.

Thanks for all the help!
a b U Graphics card
October 1, 2010 11:18:09 PM

I just ran it on my E8400+GTX260 and got 2724 on high and my card should get lower results. Here is a few possibilities that could explain those results:
  • Driver problems
  • OS problems
  • Benchmark utility is not compatible with SLI
  • The 8800s are 512MB and with AA/AF, the memory gets saturated
  • The game is optimized for fewer cores, greater clock speed would be preferable, have you tries OCing?

Have you tried other benchmarking utilities to rule-out the FF benchmark being crappy?
    Score

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
    October 1, 2010 11:30:26 PM

Unless you manually hack sli to work, it definitely does not work with the stand alone benchmark.
    You can google how to get that going, I tried it. You have to move d3d9.dll to the data folder and then rename the FFIV.exe to Crysis.exe and both gpu's were loaded.
    Related resources
    October 4, 2010 4:06:12 PM

Best answer selected by Frizzit.
    Score
    October 4, 2010 4:08:28 PM

Thanks. I was thinking I should be getting higher even with the older cards since they were in SLI. I'm definitely no genius on this stuff tho.

Apprecaite the help. I'll see how smooth I can get the game to run in forced SLI and hopefully wont have to ask for more upgrade advice. The game is beautiful but a hugue resource hog.
    Score
    a c 272 U Graphics card
    October 4, 2010 4:16:37 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
    Score
    !