Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
Hey, Tommorow im getting new computer parts:

I5 2500K
2X Kingston HyperX KHX1600 4GB
GTX470 (Already got it)
6GB/S 500G WD HDD
Etc etc

Now my question is should i get the P8Z68-M Or the P8Z68-M PRO, The M is allot cheaper (There's also the LX, that costs abit more then the pro), and it seems to be pretty much the same, (Note that i need GOOD SLI). So whats the main difference except MicroATX? (The M also has more pci's i think.

I don't see a P8Z68-M on ASUS' website. There's a P8P67-M though and it doesn't support SLI mode.

The P8Z68-M PRO doesn't support two SLI capable graphics cards in NVIDIA SLI mode.

There is a P8P67-M PRO that supports SLI mode but it has a poor PCI Express x16 slot layout.

Micro ATX form factor motherboards tend to have poor PCI Express x16 slot layout because of the limited board space. When using two graphics cards this will cause one of the graphics cards to block/restrict the air intake of the other one causing it to run at a higher temperature.

Full size ATX form factor is much better when using two graphics cards. There's also a better chance of finding a motherboard that supports SLI mode and also have a proper PCIe x16 slot layout.

Look at the P8Z68-V PRO or the P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3. They are both able to support SLI.

I just used the Asus P8Z68-M Pro board on a build for my cousin. The build went well and I was very happy with the board. At $130 at Newegg.com you really can’t go wrong with it unless you really need an ATX board for SLI. If you want SLI and can take an ATX board the Asus P8Z68-V Pro/ Gen3 is about $190 or also look at the MSI Z68A GD65 (G3) also fits your needs.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

snowcrush

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
Well, if they have the Plain V in stock i will get it, but if not... ill get the M PRO (Not V PRO) and just forget SLI, as i believe it will suit my need for the next few years/months properly (Only sole 470). Just one question, can i connect addons like a sound card that has small PCI-E port (Forgot the name) to the second big PCI-E port?

Your sound card is PCI Express x1 and you should be able to insert it into any PCI Express slot (i.e. x1/ x4/ x8/ x16) you want as long as the slot hasn't been disabled because of resource sharing.