Running lcd monitor off of PC power supply

cerealport

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
I am working on building an all-in-one unit... similar to the old portable lunchbox pcs.

What I need help with is figuring out the easiest way to connect my lcd monitor, that runs off 12 VDC, to my atx power supply.

Ideas?

Wolygon

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
Hmm, how many watts is it? If its not too many (LED?) then a few molexs should power it.

I was thinking about doing something similar to this, are you looking to just make a portable workstation (no battery) or something else? I'm a bit interested so please share.

diyeragain

Honorable
Oct 22, 2012

Hi nodice,
I found you when looking for the best way to power my lcd monitors and tv's with a 12v 5v pc desktop power supply. Would you please share with me how you accomplished this? Did you simply bypass the original lcd power supply? Thanks for any help. Two 28" I-inc lcd and one 32" tv are waiting and I can't afford to replace
since becoming disabled. I'd like to continue learning CAD so I can find work someday after my back surgery.
The cheapness of the capacitors being put in our products cannot be to save ten cents. It must be planned obsolesence. So then the warranty is just in case the minimal value capacitors don't quite survive the one year mark. Thanks for sharing.
Patrick

Jamiesonn

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014
Hey guys,

im also pretty interested in this as the monitor i want to buy is an LED IPS and only draws 23w during usage :) just also really interested to know how you managed to power a monitor through molex