Sign in with
Your question

Boot failure Asus P5B deluxe!

Last response: in Motherboards
October 24, 2011 9:11:11 PM

Hi,

I have a ASUS P5B Deluxe (3-4 years old mobo) which has been working good. My Intel E6600 (I believe that’s what it’s called) has been ran in stock settings all along.

The problem arose the other day when I was booting up my computer. I the received the following message during boot:

“CMOS settings wrong
Overclocking failed! Please enter setup to re-configure your system.
Press F1 to run setup
Press F2 to load default values and continue”

Issue 1: I don’t overclock.
Issue 2: I can’t press the buttons.
Issue 3: I can’t press anything else to enter the BIOS.

Suggestions for failure 1: My CPU fan is a big beast and if you shatter the computer case, it risks falling a bit out of position, thus resulting in cooling failure. I had a cleaner in my apartment between the last time the computer worked and now and she might have touched the case.
Suggestions for failure 2: The CMOS battery had a little brownish spot on it. Could it be “burned out” or just dead?

Attempt 1: I re-attached the CPU fan with the same result. I.e. suggestion for failure 1 is less likely.
Attempt 2: I removed and put the CMOS battery back, without any changes in results.

What can I do?

Would very much appreciate any help!
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 216 V Motherboard
October 25, 2011 1:40:12 AM

Have you tried a new CMOS battery? Or have you checked the existing CMOS battery's voltage with a multimeter?
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 229 V Motherboard
October 25, 2011 2:27:14 AM

Quote:
Issue 2: I can’t press the buttons.
Issue 3: I can’t press anything else to enter the BIOS.
What type of keyboard do you have? PS/2 or USB?
Related resources
October 25, 2011 7:13:26 AM

Wireless to USB; but I can get some type of signal from it because I can see some more extensive boot info (with same result though) when pressing, I believe, Insert.
October 25, 2011 7:14:03 AM

ko888 said:
Have you tried a new CMOS battery? Or have you checked the existing CMOS battery's voltage with a multimeter?

I have not bought a new one. How do I measure the voltage?
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 229 V Motherboard
October 25, 2011 11:49:41 AM

Replace the battery (they are inexpensive) and try a PS/2 keyboard to enter the BIOS.
October 31, 2011 7:56:24 AM

New battery didn't work - same result. :-(

Have not tried PS/2 keyboard, but the keyboard is not fully dead since I can use it to get a "full info boot".

Any ideas?
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 229 V Motherboard
October 31, 2011 10:38:20 AM

A new battery helps only if you can save the BIOS configuration; otherwise the same warning will keep on popping up. I'd still try a PS/2 keyboard. If that doesn't work, then you may have a defective motherboard, but I'd test it outside of the case before giving up.
October 31, 2011 10:39:51 AM

GhislainG said:
A new battery helps only if you can save the BIOS configuration; otherwise the same warning will keep on popping up. I'd still try a PS/2 keyboard. If that doesn't work, then you may have a defective motherboard, but I'd test it outside of the case before giving up.

Thanks for the heads up. I picked up an old shabby PS2 keyboard@work today. Let's see what this means!
October 31, 2011 4:53:38 PM

GhislainG said:

You are a brilliant man. It worked! Thanks for saving me the head ache! And for sparing me the trouble of buying a new rig, since this one is good enough for me.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 229 V Motherboard
October 31, 2011 6:12:20 PM

When a system has a PS/2 keyboard connector, it often means that it's required to configure it.
!