cstrike105

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2011
I'm planning to upgrade my system. Upgrade mobo, proc and RAM.

My concern is that is it OK to upgrade my system without needing to reformat hard drive? I know that if you'll be switching from AMD to Intel or Intel to AMD, there is a need to change the whole system. But is it possible to allow it to work without needing a reformat?

Please advice. Thank you.

Solution
If you are swapping the motherboard you will likely need to reformat, especially if its an OEM system as the CD keys are generally tied to the motherboard. There are some cases where a repair install of XP can work and keep you from having to reinstall, but really its not a great idea to try as you may end up with major driver issues down the line.
If you are swapping the motherboard you will likely need to reformat, especially if its an OEM system as the CD keys are generally tied to the motherboard. There are some cases where a repair install of XP can work and keep you from having to reinstall, but really its not a great idea to try as you may end up with major driver issues down the line.

Solution

cstrike105

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2011
@hunter315

Thanks for the advice. My plan then is to BACKUP all my important files. Upgrade my system and try a Windows repair.

If it does not work, then format will proceed. At least I had my files backed up. And I will back them up in a different hard drive for safety.