A couple startup problems

cyndric

Honorable
Mar 9, 2013
Hello all. I'm having a few startup issues that I can't figure out and i'm looking for help.

System: Gigabyte Z68A-D3H-B3 - Intel i5 2500k - 16gb Corsair Vengeance RAM - Nvidia GTX 560 ti Video Card - Vertex Agility 4 128gb main drive - Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB backup drive - Corsair CX600 Power Supply - Windows 7 64-bit - Planar PX2710MW ‑ 27" LCD monitor. Everything was purchased brand new about 4 months ago or so, except the SSD which I just now got.

Bios set to default settings with the exception of AHCI, which was set in the bios before Windows install and confirmed in registry after Windows install. Fresh install of Windows 7 64-bit, bios is up to date with newest firmware, all newest drivers for motherboard and video card installed, SSD firmware is up to date, Windows up to date. The only programs installed on my computer so far are AVG Anti-Virus, Microsoft Office 2010 and World of Warcraft, with AVG being the only thing in my windows startup list. Also, I was having all 3 of these problems even before installing those 3 programs.

Sorry for the delay in getting to the problems, I just wanted to get as much info out there as I could think of. So, here's the problems i'm having...

1) When I first push the power button on my computer to turn it on, the computer turns on right away but i'm not getting a picture until the bios screen is nearly gone, I just catch a glimpse of it by the time my screen turns on. I can't figure out if this is the screen, or if its the video card or a setting in bios somewhere. I have the initial video set in the bios to PCIE 16x.

2) Windows boots extremely fast to desktop, but I still can't open any programs, like IE, until at least 8-10 seconds after the desktop appears, sometimes up to 30 seconds or more. I just get the loading icon by the mouse. It's a fresh Windows install, I only have 2 programs installed, and all drivers/firmware up to date. I don't understand it.

3) When I try to open my secondary hard drive, it takes roughly 10-15 seconds before the drive actually opens and I can see my files in it. Now this problem has always happened, even before I installed the SSD as the main drive. I have already tried another drive to see if the drive was the problem, but the same thing happens. The weird thing is, it only does it one time. Once the drive opens the first time, it opens instantly all other times, even if I try the next day as long as I don't restart my computer. But once I restart the computer, it does the same thing the very first time I try to access the drive. It even does it if I restart the computer, then wait say 20 minutes before trying to access the drive, it freezes for 10-15 seconds and then finally opens. Then opens perfectly every time after that until I restart my computer again. It's confusing.

I'd greatly appreciate any help anyone can provide me with! The computer runs awesome other than these 3 issues, so it's really annoying me.

Thanks again!

Edit: I have just tried AS SSD and Crystal Disk Mark to see how the drive is performing, and both show very good results, but I noticed both programs takes at least 45 seconds to open! Is this normal?

Here's the results from Crystal Mark:

CrystalDiskMark 3.0.2 x64 (C) 2007-2013 hiyohiyo
Crystal Dew World : http://crystalmark.info/
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
* MB/s = 1,000,000 byte/s [SATA/300 = 300,000,000 byte/s]

Sequential Read : 422.699 MB/s
Sequential Write : 396.787 MB/s
Random Read 512KB : 398.877 MB/s
Random Write 512KB : 380.856 MB/s
Random Read 4KB (QD=1) : 28.707 MB/s [ 7008.7 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=1) : 109.427 MB/s [ 26715.5 IOPS]
Random Read 4KB (QD=32) : 240.879 MB/s [ 58808.5 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=32) : 264.606 MB/s [ 64601.0 IOPS]

Test : 1000 MB [C: 36.1% (43.0/119.1 GB)] (x5)
Date : 2013/03/09 14:08:35
OS : Windows 7 Home Premium Edition SP1 [6.1 Build 7601] (x64)

cyndric

Honorable
Mar 9, 2013
Ok, so when I said Bios was up to date, it was up to date "up to" the new UEFI bios that's out, which I didn't want. So I had F13 installed, which is the last bios before it changes to a UEFI bios.

Well I decided to just do the update and see what happens.... And I'm super happy to say that with the UEFI bios installed, ALL 3 of my problems are solved! I don't know what the problem was before, but I'm guessing it was a bios setting causing the problems. After I installed the new bios I restored the default settings, and now everything is working 100% perfectly and lightning fast! I couldn't be any happier with my system now! And even though I didn't think I would, I even like the uefi bios a lot better as well, it looks 100% nicer and has some new options to tinker with ;)

So I guess this thread can be closed now. Thank you!