Canon 100-300mm f/4.5-5.6 vs Tokina 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6

Last response: in Digital Camera
January 17, 2005 6:43:39 AM

Hi,

I had decided to buy the Canon 100-300mm f/4.5-5.6 when I came across
the Tokina 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6. I looked at eBay and both can be had for
about ~$200 used, which is my upper spending limit for a telephoto zoom
lens.

I looked at photodo tests and the Canon is rated at 2.4 while the
Tokina is at 2.3. Nothing great, but if I was settling for 2.4, I don't
have a problem settling for 2.3 unless owners in this NG have had a bad
experience with this particular Tokina lens.

Over the Canon, the Tokina has:
1. Extra 100mm reach at the tele end and 20mm at the wide end.
2. Metal lens barrel (Canon only has metal lens mount)

Over the Tokina, the Canon has:
1. Ring USM assuring faster AF
2. the 2.4 vs 2.3 photodo test

I read thru' reviews on several NGs and photographyreview and people
seem to find the Tokina (as well as the Canon) good value for the money
- 1/4th the price of an equivalent "L" series lens.
Whats your recommendation?

Thanks,

Siddhartha
Anonymous
January 17, 2005 5:17:18 PM

I have the 100-300 canon and it ok but nothing special so the Tokina might
be a good bet .as long as its af speed is ok.

"Siddhartha Jain" <losttoy2000@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I had decided to buy the Canon 100-300mm f/4.5-5.6 when I came across
> the Tokina 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6. I looked at eBay and both can be had for
> about ~$200 used, which is my upper spending limit for a telephoto zoom
> lens.
>
> I looked at photodo tests and the Canon is rated at 2.4 while the
> Tokina is at 2.3. Nothing great, but if I was settling for 2.4, I don't
> have a problem settling for 2.3 unless owners in this NG have had a bad
> experience with this particular Tokina lens.
>
> Over the Canon, the Tokina has:
> 1. Extra 100mm reach at the tele end and 20mm at the wide end.
> 2. Metal lens barrel (Canon only has metal lens mount)
>
> Over the Tokina, the Canon has:
> 1. Ring USM assuring faster AF
> 2. the 2.4 vs 2.3 photodo test
>
> I read thru' reviews on several NGs and photographyreview and people
> seem to find the Tokina (as well as the Canon) good value for the money
> - 1/4th the price of an equivalent "L" series lens.
> Whats your recommendation?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Siddhartha

Anonymous
January 17, 2005 5:40:15 PM

A PhotoDO optical rating difference of 2.4 vs. 2.3 is insignificant.
Faster focusing is a difference worth having.

Unfortunately, to get a noticable improvement in zoom teles in this
class, money talks. I've tried quite a few and found none that can
stand up to the likes of the Canon 100-400L IS and (for more portable
use) the Canon 70-300 DO IS for image quality beyond 200 mm. The Canon
70-200L f/4 and such are also very fine lenses, but not beyond 200 mm.

Phil

!