Bootmgr image is corrupt

aaroncarlson

Honorable
Feb 2, 2013
Ive been having issues with this for a few days. I have read that it has to do with your hard drive. I have tried to repair it and recovery but with no luck. If i go out and buy a new hard drive would i be good to go?

My specs are:

MOBO: Asus Maximus 5 Extreme
CPU: I5-3570k
RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16gb 2133
PSU:1300w
GPU: ASUS GTX680-DC2-4GD5 GeForce GTX 680 4GB
HDD: 1TB

RealBeast

Titan
If you cannot even boot, nobody can tell you for sure that it is the HDD and not something else until you test it. If you disconnect the drive and boot from a bootable CD, like THIS, if the memory test runs then it is pretty likely to be the drive, but no way to be 100% sure without a new drive.

BadPeteNo

Honorable
Mar 9, 2013
With that serious of a rig you aren't enough of a technomancer to have spare drives laying around? Also, at one point you say you can't get passed bios. Frankly, you should be able to boot off a cd without a hard drive even plugged in. I'll assume I misunderstood since you said you ran memtest. When it says it can't boot, you've passed bios and it's attempting to load the OS.

You might not need a new drive at all. Download any of the user-friendly linux distros (like ubuntu or fedora), boot from CD and take a look at the disk utility. From there you can check the smart status of the drive. If there is anything physically wrong, you'll see it there.

If the drive doesn't have any bad sectors or has very few, you should be able to just format it and reinstall. Frankly, there's no reason not to just try that first, but I don't really trust windows' ability to notice failing drives, so the install may work even if the drive is mostly shot.

In principal, I have to disagree with the approach of "something's broke, lets throw money at it" when you could likely fix it yourself.