Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Water cooling a GTX 275

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 2, 2010 7:58:34 AM

Hey all, I had a question. Right now I am overclocking my Intel Q9550 to 3.8~9 and while It runs below it's rated temp during a CPU only test, as soon as I start testing it with my GTX 275 it starts to overheat. My card gets to 90+ degrees C so even if it weren't overheating my CPU I would still want to fix it.

So my question is, what does it take to water cool my card? I hear I need to cool the VRAM too, can that be accomplished with just heatsinks? What all do I need to buy in order to cool it and my CPU?

I have found this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

and this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

But I don't know what all i need to do and what I am missing.

Thanks in advance,

GA

More about : water cooling gtx 275

a c 125 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
October 2, 2010 8:41:07 AM

You got loads of money?
Willing to do some research?
Willing to do some maintainence?

If you answered 'Yes' to all of those questions then watercooling is for you!

That "CPU watercooler" you linked too isn't what I'd call watercooling, Its about as good as high end air cooling.

Tell me your budget and I'll suggest my recommendations.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
October 2, 2010 9:58:49 PM

^+1 man.

You will need AT LEAST $250-300 for a good CPU WCing loop and about $300-350 for a 2nd loop for the GPU with a full cover block.

Both of the things you linked to are cr@p OP, here edumacate your self: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/256607-29-watercoolin...

Quote:

Tell me your budget and I'll suggest my recommendations.

Let OP do his home work first, else when he tries to set up the loop he will most likely run in to trouble with out knowing the basics (ie bleeding the loop,etc).
m
l
Related resources
October 2, 2010 11:16:40 PM

Look, I don't want to build mine from scratch. I could go out and buy each and every part but that is more hassle than I want to deal with.

I have a Zalman CPU cooler in my computer already but because of my GTX 275 it gets too hot at the clock speeds I have it at.

I just need a cheap and easy way, preferably prebuilt, to water cool my computer. I don't need this "You are ignorant" crap. If i really wanted to I could figure it out but I don't and I don't have the cash.
m
l
October 2, 2010 11:19:53 PM

@omgitzfatal, my budget is small, very small. I am unemployed and in college. I would prefer to be able to just buy a similar water cooled system to the one I found for my CPU but for my GPU. It is self contained and I can take extra measures to ensure it doesn't leak.

Honestly, I am talking about 200 dollars coming down the pipe for birthday and christmas, plus some money I already have saved. I do not want to pay upwards of $600 for this and I don't want to risk building it myself.
m
l
a c 125 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
October 2, 2010 11:40:12 PM

Honestly just buy some high end air cooling, get yourself a thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme for your CPU and a decent fan ( 60 CFM + )

And something like this: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS... for your GTX275, one of the customer reviewers used it to cool a overclocked GTX480 so I'm sure its good enough for your GTX275.

If you want to do watercooling right you need to take your time researching and you need alot of money, I spent roughly £320 on watercooling to cool my HD5850 and Core i7 and about 4 months researching... Watercooling done on a tight budget is just not worth it.
m
l
October 2, 2010 11:47:09 PM

My problem is that the temperature of my GPU cooler increases the temps of my CPU. My CPU can run perfectly fine at 3.9 ghz with 1.368 Vcore on it's own without going over 65 C but as soon as I start up a test where both the GPU and the CPU are running at the same time it overheats. No matter what I do to the CPU voltages, clock speeds, or outside cooling the GTX 275 still pushes it over.

Now, it seems that just diverting the heat from the CPU directly to an outside Radiator instead of a heatsink would solve most of my problems on the CPU front, preventing the GPU from adding to the temp of the CPU, but the GPU still gets really hot.

As a temperary solution the CPU cooler I found should work, but I am still worried about the GPU. Do you know of any prebuilt systems that can be hooked up with a minimum of customization to both the CPU and GPU?
m
l

Best solution

a c 125 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
October 3, 2010 12:48:08 AM

So you'd place the radiator outside of the case? I cant see how you'd manage that with the "CPU Watercooler" you linked too as you cant disconnect the tubing AFAIK.

You might want to try rearranging your case fans to somehow force the hot air from the GTX275 away from your CPU...

I imagine there is a watercooling kit that has a universal graphics card block(although you'd need heatsinks for the memory and VRM chips aswell) and a 775 CPU block, but you'd also need room in your case for a 360 rad to cool both your CPU and GPU in the same loop.

My suggestions are to get better cooling for your GPU and CPU ( in the form of high end air cooling) and rearrange your case fans to force the hot air away from your CPU.
October 3, 2010 1:22:02 AM

I have tried rearanging my case fans. It is really frustrating because the fans that came with the case in my sig, the two 200mm ones, both broke. One lost a fan blade and the other cracked right down the center. I have been juryrigging it ever since. Thankfully, there is a nice big hole in the side and top that I can mount non-compatible fans to and even stick a desk fan in front of. That is getting me by so far.

I found this: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/9927/ex-wat-153/Larko...

But it seems that it doesn't really cool very well. Any other suggestions?
m
l
October 3, 2010 1:25:38 AM

And I mispoke about the radiator being outside of my case.
m
l
October 3, 2010 3:27:11 AM

Best answer selected by guardianangel42.
m
l
!