Hot graphic card!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

vcb003104

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010
hey guys, I recently got this graphic card HD 4650 (i know It's an old card but apparantly only the HD 4xxx will run with my motherboard) So anyway, I noticed that the idle temp for the card is 60C to 61 C... is this normal?? to high?? thx :) :)

Solution
Run it for like 20 minutes, once you see the temperature graph go flat and stay flat for a while you have found the max temp, 2 minutes isnt nearly long enough since one factor that affects the temp is the hot air that leaks back into the case and raises the ambient temperature slowly, it takes everything a while to hit equilibrium.

vcb003104

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010

well after running HAWX for like 10 min, it rused to around 69-70C so im guessing that it would probaly max out at 80C?? i dunno lol im guessing I need to sent it back to powercolor for a fix?? what do you guys think?

Run furmark for a bit and see how hot it gets, if its only getting up to 80C thats not too bad, i would worry if it was hitting ~95C. Idle temps arent too important as those are greatly affected by the fan profile and are always low enough that they wont affect the part's lifespan significantly.

vcb003104

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010

thx for the reply!! well apparantly after like 1 min, the gpu temp is at around 67-70 goin up and down in that range then in 2 min it reached around 78 plus or minus 3 C.. so is it normal? or do i need to run it a bit long? now after like 2 min, it droped to 64 C thx :sol:

letsgetsteve

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
run afterburner and have it show gpu temp in the top corner while your playing if your really worried. no game will cook as hot as furmark and if you run that for 20 min and your temps are 85 and under you will be fine. also you can turn up your gpu fan speed with afterburner. i run all my gpus faster then stock

Run it for like 20 minutes, once you see the temperature graph go flat and stay flat for a while you have found the max temp, 2 minutes isnt nearly long enough since one factor that affects the temp is the hot air that leaks back into the case and raises the ambient temperature slowly, it takes everything a while to hit equilibrium.

Solution

Umm, what kind of motherboard is it and who told you such nonsense? Any PCI-Express v2.0 motherboard can run ANY PCI-Express card whether it's ATi, nVidia, Matrox, etc. that uses PCI-e v1.0, v1.1, v2.0 and v2.1. You can use whatever card you want. Whoever told you that pile of sheep-dip needs a hole driven in their head to let their brain get some oxygen. Those temps are fine btw. The Radeon HD 4xxx series can run stable at 100C.

vcb003104

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010

Haha thx man good to hear that it'll run properly at 100C lol apparently I found that info by a couple of forum in the lenovo site... I also had a 5570 which didn't work in my motherboard... So thx for the replies I'll let it furmark run for 20 min thn see the results... I'm guessing that anything below 95C is good and anything over that I need to be careful right?? Thx for the fast replies guys!!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.