Sign in with
Your question

GTS250 on Athlon64 X2 5400

Last response: in CPUs
February 21, 2011 5:07:03 AM

Hi, I just want to ask if its ok to put This Videocard Palit GTS250 1 gig DDR3 in my system,

MOTHERBOARD:REDFOX GF6150 DDR2 Pcie
PROCESSOR:AMD Athlon64 X2 5400
RAM:2 Gig DDR2 800

Im just wondering if my system can run fine in that videocard. Or should I upgrade my processor.

More about : gts250 athlon64 5400

a b à CPUs
February 21, 2011 5:31:25 AM

The video card you are looking at is about the same as the previous 9800GT which will work nice with your current CPU.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/31

Check the tail of that link for some gaming benches with your CPU... the CPU will fit that GPU nicely.

If you want to go over GTX465-580... then you will want to upgrade the CPU and memory.

If you are running Windows Vista or Windows 7 I will recommend you get another 2GB of RAM though.
m
l
February 21, 2011 5:36:25 AM

Thanks mate now I got no worry to buy that video card. By the way im only using windows XP. Thanks again.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
February 21, 2011 7:15:52 AM

Depends on what games you want to play, but with XP the OS uses less memory. If you had Vista or 7 for instance, most games recommend 2-4GB so the OS memory space isn't paged to the hard drive. Check the requirement for the exact game you want to play. If it recommends 2GB as the minimum, then you should try to get another 1GB in there if your budget allows. This will let Windows and your game use the memory more efficiently and not always page out the memory to the hard drive.

If you run into any games needing more than 4GB (though unlikely right now), then you would need to install a 64 bit OS and install more memory if your board allows.

But for the card you want, the RAM and OS you have, and your CPU... most modern games will play fine at low-medium resolutions with middle to high on the textures. Do not expect to play Crysis or Far Cry 2 over 1280x720p with that CPU and GPU... If you need VERY high resolutions or texture detail, then it is time to upgrade everything. :p 
m
l
a c 88 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
February 21, 2011 9:41:48 AM

there will be a bottleneck there. maybe stick with a gt240 unless your going to upgrade your processor soon, or unless you have a higher res monitor.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
February 21, 2011 2:30:07 PM

A GTS250 might be bottlenecked a bit by a lowly 5400X2, but it just depends on the resolution your using as to what the bottleneck is going to be. Even my 3850 was bottlnecked by an Athlon 5200 X2 at stock speed, but I overclocked that to 3.0 and it was all good ^_^. Anyway, if you're worried about it, then overclock your CPU.
m
l
a c 887 à CPUs
a c 1152 V Motherboard
February 21, 2011 2:37:18 PM

1965ohio said:
The video card you are looking at is about the same as the previous 9800GT which will work nice with your current CPU.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/31

Check the tail of that link for some gaming benches with your CPU... the CPU will fit that GPU nicely.

If you want to go over GTX465-580... then you will want to upgrade the CPU and memory.

If you are running Windows Vista or Windows 7 I will recommend you get another 2GB of RAM though.

9800GTX+ = GTS250 > 9800GT
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 24, 2011 8:44:33 AM

rolli59 said:
9800GTX+ = GTS250 > 9800GT

So what? Just saying they are about the same match for his CPU and offered him an example based on the chip I have.

Who cares about this little difference? Of course it's a little better. Does everybody get to be an expert or addict simply by posting the obvious ?

In this situation, most people like myself would just reply to you by saying "No sh*t Sherlock!"

No need to comment on everyone's post just to get another 4 points. You're wasting your time even to post that at all. Do you have a job or anything better to do all day? Do you have some sick need to follow my posts and others or just reply to everything with simple and worthless facts?

If he has a bottleneck at all it is 3-4fps... if at all. Not like putting a GTX580 on it.

You already have a high score, so lay off a bit.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 24, 2011 10:22:46 AM

Never mind... I see the path to becoming an Expert on the forum. After checking the badges on your profile, just need to be the forum nark and report every post that disagrees with you and gets people riled up and you get spy badges. Clever.

I guess instead of giving good advice, I should just spend my time reporting everybody and I can get more points than actually helping anybody.

It's nice to know! Thank you. :D 
m
l
a c 887 à CPUs
a c 1152 V Motherboard
February 24, 2011 11:00:12 AM

1965ohio said:
Never mind... I see the path to becoming an Expert on the forum. After checking the badges on your profile, just need to be the forum nark and report every post that disagrees with you and gets people riled up and you get spy badges. Clever.

I guess instead of giving good advice, I should just spend my time reporting everybody and I can get more points than actually helping anybody.

It's nice to know! Thank you. :D 

It was not a personal attack! I was just posting a correction with a fact!
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 24, 2011 11:20:33 AM

I said "about" the same. I didn't say the same. If the 9800GT gives you 70 fps in L4D, then another 10 or 15 isn't a huge improvement. If it was, they wouldn't still be able to sell the 9800GT. Never mind it. Report me for getting pissed and have them close the thread, get another badge... lol :p 

@ malmental... I vote for a better point system... people should only get 1 point each post and 100 points for best answer... too many irrelevant answers add up to a higher overall score even though the post doesn't really say anything. It didn't even explain to the OP what he is talking about. He didn't even explain any major difference or help to answer the OP but can get points for correcting something that needs no correction. Don't know what you think though... your posts are always helpful :D 
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 24, 2011 2:47:17 PM

That is the only reason I get so upset. It is one thing to correct somebody, it is another thing to not elaborate on the correction. I always try to give the most concise or easy to understand example. Just spewing a few numbers or not mentioning your point doesn't help the OPs if they are not experienced. If I really made a mistake, then quoting it and explaining would be choice. In this case I said "about" and not "exact" so even his answer to my post is neither a correction nor anything useful to the OPs original questions.

I have been reading all the posts by many experts or addicts and notice they like to answer every post in every thread this way. Yet I answer very little but concisely and usually get best answer, they don't. Accumulating points by trolling every single post makes someone's score and profile look good, so people will listen to them. Yet, they have nothing to actually say. And the spying system is good for catching trolls, spammers, and people who always use bad words... but most of said "experts" are also the trolls.

When I read your posts malmental, I wouldn't consider you a troll or spammer. Your answers are usually the same like mine and actually add a good point of view to a thread. So I don't see why anyone would complain about you. There are also a few posters I will not mention directly, but their advice is usually a mixed bag. Sometimes very helpful, sometimes worse than kids and give faulty advice based on some BS experiences that cannot be proven.

I just wish they would listen and stop trolling, because I really don't want to be a spy and complain to the mod every time they act this way. I don't want to become a community expert based solely on trolling and being a nark about other people who like to troll. Nobody likes a tattle-tale, but it seems it might be more rewarding than giving advice or clear posts.

I usually stay in the CPU section and answer questions related to CPUs, video cards, and mainboards most since I used to manufacture them and train operators how to program and run the SMT pick and place machines. I also like to answer a few questions in the software sections since I also work for a software testing firm in China right now. But real advice and experience is not rewarded, it is mocked by those collecting points. I am sure certain people are reporting me right now and earning their next spying badge.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 24, 2011 2:51:37 PM

^ see, very good. You can elaborate after all. Now the OP knows WTF you are talking about.

Congratulations! You made an answer... ding ding ding... you actually earned your 4 points this time.
m
l
a c 887 à CPUs
a c 1152 V Motherboard
February 24, 2011 3:01:33 PM

1965ohio said:
^ see, very good. You can elaborate after all. Now the OP knows WTF you are talking about.

Congratulations! You made an answer... ding ding ding... you actually earned your 4 points this time.

This is how you earn points on Tom's
"Opening a « question » thread 15
Opening a « discussion » thread 10
Opening a « poll » thread 10
Posting an answer on a thread 4
Posting a comment on a news 4
Being selected as the best answer in a thread 40
Selecting the best answer for a thread 25
Creating your account 50
Confirming your email 50"
Has nothing to do with reporting posts with mass marketing (spamming) to moderators or post's in violation off Toms privacy policy!
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 24, 2011 3:16:50 PM

With your first post you didn't really earn your 4 points. You quoted me and didn't seem to read what I am saying, and you didn't explain to the OP. That 4 points that were given in that case should be taken away in my opinion. You should only get points if you actually directly answer an OP with something usefull.

It is a well known fact that the GTS250 and the earlier 8800/9800GTs are not much different in performance and for his CPU will not be a critical problem or bottleneck. Even Dadiggle up there just recommended the same kind of GPU I was talking about.

If you really wanted to correct my original post and really earn 4 points, you should have explained or posted a link the first time.

I know how the point system works and am saying you don't really earn or deserve points for that kind of vague post. I have read through a few of your posts lately and notice this kind of thing many times. So I am saying to malmental this is how you can be an expert, just answer as many posts as possible but don't elaborate or be helpful and you can get get promoted faster.

The next time you see me answer a thread and want to correct something of mine, it better be a true factual or spelling mistake or stay out of my way. You know that you can earn points by giving real answers and not being a dick. It's a proven fact.

If you like, I can review your posts for mistakes... but my post didn't actually have mistakes... so next time you want to do that, just don't.

BTW, take a closer look at the link you provided and go to the last page: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Galaxy/GeForce_GTS_2...

and read this part

Quote:
In our recent poll "Is NVIDIA's rebranding strategy helpful?" we saw 48% of people reply that they want to see innovation when a new product is released. While NVIDIA claims there is some innovation in making a 1 GB version I disagree. In our review of Palit's 2 GB card we saw that increasing the memory even further can't improve the product. Galaxy's optimization is using a quiet Arctic Cooling Accelero Twin Turbo - and it seems to be a good choice. The card is very quiet in both idle and load, making it one of the quietest cards in that performance class. While 1 GB of memory has only a slight performance increasing effect, the reduced fan noise can make a difference. Since Galaxy is offering their card at the price of other reference design cards, this is a no brainer. At this price point the card is an excellent deal price/performance wise. However, if you can find a GeForce 8 or GeForce 9 for a good price you should also consider it, since the GTS 250 doesn't bring anything really new to the table.

Seems that "about" the same I said before is proven 100% correct by your own link trying to disprove me.
m
l
!