Why Are My SSD Boot Times So SLOOWW

vaze159

Honorable
Mar 9, 2013
Ok so i recently just got this new rig about a month ago. It used to start up withing 10 seconds flat easily. Well long story short I messed some things up and had to use a system image recovery. At first that would not work so I did a fresh install of windows 7 ultimate onto it and then something failed to where it would not boot and eventually i got that system image recovery to work. Anyways to shorten up everything for you guys, I have already checked and made sure it is plugged into the SATA 3 0-1 slot on my MOBO. Everything is configured fine. AHCI mode is enabled and always has been. But now it is taking my ssd like a minute to start up. which makes it pretty much worthless.

I am not sure if these benchmarks are normal for my ssd, btw it is a kingston hyperx sata3 120GBs ssd. I have asked the community at overclock but I am not getting much help there. this is the link to the image on their forums.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1369457/lightbox/post/19479455/id/1340714

Are those scores looking normal? When windows does start up i can still immediately click anything i want and it seems like it is still fast just boot times are slow now.

this link here is the way the drives are set up. I bought the computer as is the way it was.

http://cdn.overclock.net/d/db/900x900px-LL-dbba35dc_Desktop_2013_03_09_19_18_46_982.jpeg

I am not sure what is going on. I think I may have severely slowed it down by reinstalling windows on it and everything. because only after all of this happening is when it slowed down completely. It used to be lightning fast. Any way to fix this and make it as fast as it was before???

vaze159

Honorable
Mar 9, 2013
so basically what I need to do is completely format the ssd. Reinstall windows on it and see if that helps it? doesn't this formatting and rewriting windows on it multiple times severely hinder the ssd's performance and life time? I have already done a fresh install once and this is what slowed it down. Before any of this happened it was fast, after fresh install it was slow. Did system image recovery back to how it was when I got it and it is still slow.

Windows logo is fast, it cuts out the splash image before it has time to even come together, but the welcome screen is what is taking a long time, 30-40 seconds.

Also wouldn't I have to partition the drive the right way and align it and all that stuff that I do not know how to do. Because from my experience, it created several system reserve drives that were never there before. i had the 100MB system reserve boot partition before the actual C: partition. With the way it is set up now there is no partition in front of C:. C: is the boot partition and I am not sure how to go about to do any of this the correct way without screwing everything up

vaze159

Honorable
Mar 9, 2013
ok well let me rephrase. I did a fresh install, messed around with the partitions to try and get them the way they are now and screwed something up, so then I did a system image recovery back to how it was when I got it. windows welcome screen now takes a long time to get past. took the same amount of time when I did a fresh install.

vaze159

Honorable
Mar 9, 2013
well I can deal with the longer boot times If there is no other solution than that, which there should be. There is always a work-a-round for everything. As long as my SSD is still reading and writing at the speeds it should be, welcome screen taking a little longer isnt going to bother me enough to go through the trouble of doing a fresh install, changing the locations of all the folders I have modified, redoing all of the tweaks I have done, getting rid of all the bloatware again, trying to partition the thing the right way and decreasing its life even more. Ill pass, unless there is a much easier way to fix this

vaze159 - There must be a misunderstanding about decreasing ssd life. It usually refers to the memory installed in the ssd. The memory can only written to, erased, and prepped for additional writing so many times. There have been technical reviews which have addressed that issue. For typical consumers the memory in a modern 3rd generation ssd should last anywhere from 7 to 82 years depending on the type of memory installed. That's assuming a user writes and deletes 10GB of data every day, day after day, year after year. I do not know of any consumer who does that every single day.

The AS SSD benchmarks published in technical reviews are usually run on a brand new ssd that contains only a fresh clean install of the operating system and the AS SSD utility. Here is a link to one of the first technical reviews of the Kingston Hyper X that was published:

http://www.kitguru.net/components/ssd-drives/zardon/kingston-hyperx-240gb-ssd-review/9/

The page I linked to shows the AS SSD benchmark for the Hyper X and several other ssd's. Other technical reviews published similar benchmarks. You can compare your results with the published results and draw your own conclusions.

You mentioned you did a clean install. Did you remember to do a secure erase before the clean install? If you didn't do a secure erase, then it wasn't a clean install.

You mentioned tweaking, partitioning, modifying files, etc. etc. In all probability you've got Windows running a lot of extra routines on start-up. Keep it simple.

vaze159

Honorable
Mar 9, 2013

thanks this was some good info to know. No I did not do a secure erase for I dont know how to do that. I will look it up here when I finally get fed up with the slow boot times. My only question now would be that If i did a secure erase and then recovered my image that I have when The computer was first ever started up, would it be the same as a fresh install? Seeing that the image is when windows was first installed anyways it should help me skip all of the other bologna I dont want to do. The image already has everything I need as far as the drivers I need to install for my motherboard.

TRENDING THREADS