Solved

Advice on new PSU

Hey guys I'm new here!

So I am intending on upgrading my GPU from a GT120 to a HD5670 (single card, not doing crossfire), but currently my Compaq only has 300W on its OEM PSU. So I am currently looking at 2 Cooler Master PSU models.(which are within my budget.)

The 1st one is the CM eXtreme Power Plus 460W (which has more than enough power that I need.). 76%++ efficiency

The 2nd one is the CM Silent Pro 500W (definitely abit overkill). 80% ++ efficiency

The problem is the 1st PSU above does not have 80+ certification but the 2nd one has it but will cost me more about SGD$30.

So the question is, (I'm a casual gamer, not hardcore, and I don't OC), do is it better to get the 2nd PSU or the 1st one and why??? Experts please HELP!!!

My current specs:

Compaq Presario SR 5880D Desktop
Core 2 Quad Q8200
3GB PC2-6400 DDR2 RAM
NVIDIA GT 120 DDR2 1GB
Hitachi 7200RPM 500GB HDD
Integrated Realtek ALC888S Audio
802.11 b/g wireless USB adapter card
DVD+/-R/RW 16X 12X +/-DL LS 12X RAM SuperMulti SATA drive

Motherboard: MCP73M01H1 (Napa)
4 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about advice
  1. Best answer
    The power supplies you listed will both work for you... however from personal experience... Cooler Master power supplies are over-rated by 100w and you cannot trust that what they say and what you get are the same.

With the specs you have and card you want to install, 400-500w from Antec, Corsair or the like will be better in efficiency and you'll get the true wattage they are rated at.
  2. Yep! if you're limited to those two choices the Silent Pro is the superior unit.
    It will provide 500W continuous and features modular cables.
  3. Hmm thanks for the advice, I'm getting myself a 500W Antec Earthwatts PSU! Will select 1965ohio's answer as best answer as he made me research into Antec haha thanks :D
  4. Best answer selected by madhardy4.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Components