Build new rig, reboot loop after win7 install (on Asus P6X58D-E)

martyzzz

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2006
Hey all,

I finally got my new system but i run into a weird issue here and i have no clue what couses this.
Today i received a CPU I7-950, Mobo Asus P6X58D-E, 6Gigs Cosair Dominator Trikit DDR3 and a GTX470 GPU.
Rest of the relevant specs are Zalman 600w psu, main hdd a WD Sata Raptor 74gigs and thats about it.

I started to build the new pc and i had no problems whatsoever in this fase.
The problem started when i was installing Windows 7, well actually when it was finished installing.
The whole install went normally till the point where it was finalizing installation and rebooted for the first time fully installed, halfway the windows logo screen the pc automaticly reboots and keeps on doing this in a loop.

Ofc i tried safe mode, same thing happens.
I triend another HDD (Maxtor 320 GB Sata), same thing happens.
I triend with a different GPU (my old one 8800 GT 512), same thing happens.

I used the same Windows 7 DvD as i used earlier on today to reinstall my old computer so it cant be the DVD.

Leaves me with only maybe its the motherboard or CPU or something...
I installied Windows 7 about six times now on my new pc and i installed it in total maybe over 70 times for work and friends as well and this never happened to me before.

Does any1 have an idea what might be wrong?

By now you should be convinced the problem isn't with Windows lol.

As a first step, try clearing CMOS and loading/saving Default values.

Let us know what hppaens.

The problem is more likely a BIOS settings or psu issue.

martyzzz

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2006

Man, you dont wanna know how many things i tried already but i think im getting somewhere...

I narrowed down all hardware, tried different RAM (also 1 stick, 2 sticks and 3 sticks in differetn slots).
I tried different GPU's, all in same result.
Disassembled my whole pc, all other hdd's and so on and only used mobo/cpu/gpu/ram/1xhdd and nothing more than the absolute basics...
Nothing helped till i tried the following

In the Mobo bios i disabled loads of stuff for the CPU (all the things in the CPU settings), things like turbo boost, only use 2 cores (not 4), also lowered the blc so much so i have 2.2Ghz on a 950 (which runs standard on 3.06) and basicly all the other stuff that was in that cpu tab.
All tries were in default mobo setting btw so there was no overclock or anything.

Guess what after i fiddled with the cpu settings the install of windows continued and now i can boot and load up windows.
Only down side it i almost know for certain or the mobo of the cpu isnt functioning propperly and im not planning to use my newly bought hardware if there is an error in it.

Im going to try enabling all mobo cpu settings 1 by 1 and see where it doesnt boot up anymore.

Any1 an idea what i could do more to see where the prob is before i go back to the shop ?

Cheeers !

1) Clear CMOS again.
2) Use a single stick of memory for now.
3) Reload default BIOS settings.
4) Manually set memory timings and voltage to match your memory. Save and exit BIOS.

If that doesn't work, try giving memory a touch more voltage. One ping, Yuri . . . err one click.

If that works, install the rest of your memory and stress test with Prime95, Furmark, and CPUID's Hardware Monitor to watch temps.

martyzzz

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2006
you think it can be ram issues while i tested with 3 sticks, after 2 sitcks (also make combo's in different slots) and also with 1 stick.
After i started fiddeling with settings in bios (not Ram related) its works... sometimes...

Not my pc is running prime with all 3 sticks in and its running flawlessly

ow... last thing i disabled in bios was Marvell Lan controller.. my pc botted
after en Enabled the Lan controller again.. pc didn't Boot
After i let the lan controller be on enabled but disabled the extra option Boot on Lan or sum and than my pc booted again

This all is really pissing me off, im running on normal speeds with normal hardware now but it seems weird that i cant boot up with default Asus mobo settings.
Im 100% sure something is wrong with my hardware and i dont know if i should take all this stuff back to the shop and let them sort it out, in the end ill prolly get my stuff back weeks later than :(

Any ideas ?

ps i have the memtest, ill do that asap... atm im just goona stress my new cpu a bit with prime

Cheers

See, here's the thing, Marty . . . it should work without you screwing around in BIOS. And all your changes make me nervous.

So you should go back to basics, clear cmos to fix any corruption, reload BIOS to eliminate any well-intentioned mistakes, set the memory timings manually to ensure they are correct. Then use one stick of memory to lessen stress on the mobo. Boot up and stress it. If it runs P95 for an hour, memtest will tell you nothing new. If it doesn't, give it a touch more memory voltage (if there's room).

While there are some other possibilities, the reboot loop usually indicates your mobo is not happy with one or more of its settings. Once the settings are correct, you may be able to assume the problem is your mobo is unhappy - period.

martyzzz

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2006

Little update, my pc has been running prime95 for like 6 hours now with all 3 ram modules installed, i made a screenshot of all the settings :

1sttestdefault.th.png
[/URL][/img]

I will clear the Cmos now and try to boot with default settings and see if the computer still fires up.
Just to be clear, i didnt fiddle with bios settings before i got the bootup cycle, that happened straight outta the box and only after i started to change setting in the bios like adjusting ram tinings and disabling all stuff on the board that i wouldnt need.

After loads of trials and errors and reboots i got the pc to start up normally but there is so much disabled on the board now i think half the stuff isnt even working :(
Ill post back after i tested the Cmost reset and ram timings manually.

Ow another thing, seems like i hear a very low sort of electrocal noise/sound from inside the case when i move my usb mouse (the case is very close to my ear as it is laying on the desk next to me and its open as well) > is this normal ?

Cheers !

martyzzz

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2006
@Twoboxer,

I did as you told me, cleared Cmos and reloaded standard bios setting.
Only put in the correct RAM timings and Voltage manually > pc didnt get past Win Starting screen (halfway reboot)
Also after i used the ram's XMP profile, it filled in all the correct settings for the ram and again it didnt boot up past win loading screen.

In order to let it boot this time i went into CPU configuration and basicly turned everything off in that tab.
I don't know what setting did the job but i know this isnt the way it should work.

Any ideas ?
Should i go back to the shop or is this a common thing ?

martyzzz

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2006
Just called the shop, they want me to take the whole system appart again and put it in the original boxes so they can test it... grrrrr thats gonna take a while.

Btw another thought, i have a 600w zalman power supply that should be enough for the whole system right ?
The only devices connected are : CPU I7-950, 1x HDD, 1x Dvdrw, 1x Nvidia GTX470 and my mouse and keyboard.
Also tried the setup with my older lower power consuming Nvidia 8800GT512 GPU but it made no difference.

Prescott_666

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
At this point it is probably not memory, have you tried the system with one stick of memory, with each of the three sticks?

The following is cut and pasted from the Nvidia site

The following are the power supply hardware requirements:

Geforce GTX 470
Minimum of a 550 Watt power supply.with a combined +12 Volt current rating of 38 Amps
Two available 6-pin PCI-E power connectors

Geforce GTX 480
Minimum of a 600 Watt power supply with a combined +12 Volt current rating of 42 Amps
An available 6-pin PCI-E power connector and an available 8 pin PCI-E power connector

So it is probably not a matter of not having enough power, but it could still be another PSU problem such as to much noise on one of the rails.

It is probably the motherboard or the CPU. Can you get a known good compatible CPU to use to test the system?

If not the shop should be willing to work with you on the testing. Asking you to disassemble everything and put it back in the boxes before trying anything else is not reasonable.

Ask them if you can bring the assembled system in and if they will try another CPU. If they are an independent shop, they probably will, if they are part of a chain, your chances are not so good.

rgs80074

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2010
marty is it hanging at a specific spot or just the rebooting.

i ask this because i've had similar issues on a few different pc's recently.

the one i thought it was bad motherboard and such ended up being the cable from my monitor went bad. also that pc had a problem where it was hanging during boot at the verifying dmi pool data, i have it fixed now (still don't know what was causing the issue with it) that seems to be the last step when the bios sends data to the os system to start.

that even happened on me with a fresh hard drive, installed the os everything appeared to be fine until its final boot, i ended up putting in another hard drive from another system that was working but it was an ide hard drive and the system has been running since, not that i wanted an ide drive in it.

also i had another pc that kept rebooting in an endless cycle and this possibly might be your problem if you'd eliminated everything you could think of. if there is a wireless card (mine was by realtech) take it out and see what happens. in fact after i found out of the problem and took it out and installed the os when i put it back in to work it did the same thing i just had to go into safe mode to disable the card, and then connected temp via wired cable and did my updates and searched until i found a good driver that would allow it to work then i rebooted and it worked fine.

i hope some of this is of help.

martyzzz

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2006
Prescott_666
Thanks for the reply.

I did test with all 3 seperate ram sticks (one by one also in different sockets) after even combo's of 2 also in different sockets and last all 3. None of the combo's seemed to affect my problem.

About the Power supply, i dont think this is the problem either.
Remember i also tested my system with a way lower power consuming 8800 GT.
Also Nvidia recommends 550w and my psu is 600w (it also was a very expensive one) and even has the 2x6pin connector on it which the gtx470 requires.

I did however bound all the rails (wires) of the psu into a nice bundle, this shouldnt be a problem right ?

I cant get my hands on another I7 CPU to test with also i dont have another mobo, for this tests i really need to go to the shop
I agree, pretty much everything is ruled out appart from the mobo and CPU.

I will make a screenshot of the settings i need to disable on the mobo before my system powers up to make it more clear.

rgs gave you a good list of "oddball" causes for reboot - in particular, I've also experienced the "bad video cable" problem. Specifically, a PC that kept rebooting worked flawlessly when we replaced the DVI cable with a DVI-to-VGA adapter, and a VGA cable to a different port on the same monitor. Turns out the problem was not really the cable, but was in the DVI port on the monitor.

The memory settings for your Corsair memory look a bit non-standard. I don;t have your kit's model number, but arent' the timings 8-8-8-24? CPU-z seems to be saying you're running at 8-8-7-20.

martyz1980

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2010

martyz1980

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2010
Ah btw i already brought the new hardware back to the shop, i had been trying to test and resolve this for 3 days in a row and i thought i was going mad...

The shop already called me and said they experienced the same issues with the hardware which i was having so now they are testing every of the 4 components separate to replace that broken item.
As stated above i returned the following hardware : CPU I7-950, Mobo Asus P6X58D-E, 6Gigs Cosair Dominator Trikit DDR3 and a GTX470 GPU.

On another note... what if the for example the motherboard turns out to be broken, they WILL replace that with no questions asked but...
If the motherboard sended like to much power to the cpu or ddr also can there be any chance one of my other componens being damaged damaged as well ?
I mean if i get the broken part replaced chances could be that my other hardware (which prolly will work when they return it) can be affected by the broken part and maybe dont perform optimal anymore or have a shorter life time now ?

Any thoughts on this ?
Will it be reasonable to ask the shop to replace all four parts because the other parts can be dameged now as well?
Or do i need to ask for more guarantee on the other parts couse they supplied me with a broken part ?

In the end the "broken setup" has been tested now for almost 4-5 days (not including sunday) in a row now and prolly has rebooted for like 150-200 times by me and the shop.....

Unlikely more than one part is bad, and uinlikely one of those parts would damage another.

You can ask to replace all the parts, but normal practice is to replace only what is broken.

martyzzz

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2006
Hey all,

Lots of stuff happened... in the end i got my stuff back but later on also my DDR Rams turned out to be bad.
Got those replaced today as well and as of now my pc runs propperly.
I switched my GTX470 for a 480 when i got the stuff back from the shop cuz the mobo i got was a little cheaper and i had enough to get the upgraded card also :p

I got kicked by my WoW guild cuz i couldnt make it to our final guild LK 25 HC run.

So In Extremis guyz im very sorry again, i couldnt do anything about all this.

Toms hardware guys, thanks for all the help !

Cheers all !

Marty (Enjull)

armystutz

Honorable
Mar 15, 2012
I have been having same issues, this is the second ASUS P6X58 D-E build i have done and both did same thing. I have swapped all the components and replaced everything with brand new tried different types of ram i have like 20 sets of ram laying around in anti static bags. 4 diff PSU's and 3 Diff CPU's, Diff HDD's and Diff GPU's. I am starting to think this is just a problem with the P6X58D-e. Notice you said you got a little cheaper MOBO and viol la your problem doesn't exist any more Im starting to thnk im going to swith to an ASUS Rampage2 Extreme STCOM or I will just switch to an I7-3820 with a LGA2011 MOBO since they are out now and the shop my friend owns in Yongsan, Korea has them in stock. Its definitively the Mobo though I can tell you that much is for sure. I haven't located which part of the mobo it is yet but don't look to ASUS to give you much help because the LGA 1366 has been discontinued and will no longer be made. I have done everything you did too even shutting down features on mobo and flashing BIOS to no avail but I'm still working on it. I'm determined to find out what exactly is causing this problem.