Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 BSOD Hardware failure

Last response: in Systems
November 25, 2010 9:36:33 PM

Hey all.

Going out on a limb here, as I cannot figure out what is wrong with my PC. But I will explain things in as much detail as possible for you guys.

So, I've got a custom built PC which i put together a few months back. The specifications are:

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition 3.2GHz Quad
4GB DDR3 1333MHz Dual Channel RAM
500GB SATA II HDD 7200 RPM
ATi HD3850 512MB Factory Superclocked
ASUS M4A785TD-M EVO Motherboard
Coolermaster GX 650Watt PSU - something along those lines.

So, I bought this PC to play games. Now, this issue occured at random, but is becoming more and more frequent. I will be playing a game, and suddently the system will lock up. The sound on my speakers making this electronic grinding noise (its hard to explain, sorry) and a blue screen appears, with the error code 0X00000001. Something about shutting the PC down to prevent hardware damage. Once the PC has 'shutdown' the fans will carry on spinning, but the PC does nothing. After turning the PC off by holding down the power button, I turn it back on, only to find the fans spin, but nothing happens. (Hard drive, DVD Drive, graphics card etc etc do not do anything).

The confusing part is, if I leave the PC alone for a few hours, and turn it back on, the BIOS appears, resets everything (All I change is the boot priority as it chooses my CD-ROM drive over my HDD) and works again, until the next BSOD.

I highly doubt this is a PSU problem, as I used to have a GTS250 1GB running on it, but that randomly stopped working completely. After every incident, my PC performs slower and slower, and takes ages for the login screen to appear.

So far, I have tested my RAM, swapped extension cables, wall sockets, monitor, and switched graphics cards, but the problem still persists. Its getting pretty annoying, as I feel I'm currently sitting next to a £550 paper weight.

Any ideas as to what could be causing this issue would be appreciated, as I would like to get to the bottom of this asap.

Regards
Formula
November 26, 2010 12:00:36 AM

Some tests I would run:

1) Check your drivers
2) Prime95 to test cpu and memory(RAM)
3) Check for bad sectors in hard drive

If your motherboard or psu are dying that is harder to diagnose. Hope that it's something else.

If you can't find the error from testing, you can try resetting your CMOS. If that still doesn't help, think about backing up your data and reinstalling your operating system (may solve a driver problem).
November 26, 2010 12:10:18 AM

I've re installed my operating system twice to no avail. I used memtest86x not so long ago and ram passed with no. Issues. Hard drive could be an issue, I will look into that providing I can get access to another pc as mine won't boot at all. Currently using my phone to surf the internet. I'm considering my Psu not distributing power properly. Will try a few things out after work tomorrow and see how things go
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
November 26, 2010 12:14:37 AM

I would also check your temps.
speedfan is good.
November 26, 2010 12:20:03 AM

I've got an antec 300 case with 2 extra fans on it. Still another thing worth looking into. I also noticed but failed to mention none of my blue screens are being logged. Minidump folder was empty when I checked
November 26, 2010 12:35:47 AM

If it is a stop error caused by a driver, it might not show up in minidump. I would guess hard drive or motherboard before PSU.
November 26, 2010 8:43:49 AM

Right. First off thanks for all your help. I was able to get a chkdsk done through a friend and it claims the hdd to be fine. Temperatures I cannot look into as I cannot get the pc to boot. My uneducated guess would say my Psu is having trouble directing enough power. Will grab another Psu when I can and try that. If that fails, I would expect it to be the motherboard
a b B Homebuilt system
November 26, 2010 5:55:36 PM

Try reducing the load on the PSU before buying a new one. The best way to test a PSU is to check its voltage outputs with a multimeter, but if you don't have one or don't want to buy one, then proceed with the following installed and connected:

1. PSU - make sure you have the CPU and main power connectors plugged in
2. CPU/heatsink - double check to ensure that the thermal paste is applied adequately. If any excess got on to the CPU pins, clean the pins with rubbing alcohol and let dry. Make sure the heatsink is on firmly with the fan spinning correctly.
3. RAM - Install only one RAM module.
4. GPU/VGA - if your mobo has VGA (onboard) then connect monitor to mobo; otherwise use the video card.

If you disconnected the front panel, jump the PWR_SW pins to apply power and turn on your mobo. If you didn't, simply turn on the computer the conventional way (press the button).

W/o the HDD connected, your system will still go through a POST. When the HDD isn't detected, you'll see the CMOS error message indicating so.
!