People complain about 1600Mhz RAM on AMD setups because they don't realize that the memory controller on the CPU is only rated for 1333Mhz. Anything beyond that is an overclock that might not work.
The RAM settings should default to 1333 so it should be fine. It's possible with any RAM that there can be a compatibility issue, but it's not too common with AMD.
Sorry to butt in. I am in the process of putting together my 1st build as well. I have a phenom IIx4 955 processor and got 4gb of 1600mhz ram not realizing your comment above. Will the cpu still be able to run with 1600? Or will I need to exchange it?
Thanks for all your replies; they helped! This is sort of another bump, but I'm having another problem..
When I boot my system, everything appears to be working. All the fans (case fans, CPU fan, fan on the graphics card) spinning, optical drive works, LEDs work, etc.
However, nothing comes up on the monitor (at first I used the DVI connection, but switched to VGA just in case - nothing from either), and I don't seem to be getting any power from the I/O panel to the keyboard. Help?
1. Made sure the CPU power cords were inserted correctly.
2. Re-seated the video card. (There is no PCI-E slot on the card for extra power.)
3. Tried booting with one stick of ram, each on different modules (and re-seated each stick of ram).
4. Reset the CMOS.
5. Checked for loose screws/parts in the case.
6. Unplugged the Reset Switch.
7. The HDD activity light doesn't come on, but I've installed it correctley. (I even switched it around to what appeared to be the wrong polarity just in case. The power button comes on.)
Nothing. This is really depressing, I don't know what it is.
It's possible that I just got a bad video card, I guess? I am building two of these (one for my family and one for a friend), so I do have another of the same card - should I try that?