Sign in with
Your question

Is my PSU inadequate? Need 1000-Watt?

Last response: in Components
February 21, 2011 2:12:10 PM

I would appreciate your helping me decide whether I need to upgrade my PSU. I am currently using a 750-W (continuous) PC Power & Cooling supply. Do I need 1000+ W?

System is able to run with the current PSU, but i often get BSOD (memory related msgs) and if PC is left on for a long time, it is almost guaranteed to get a symptom where graphics on the monitors are flashing with corruption and then if i do a few process-intensive clicks here and there (instead of letting it continue idling), then PC is sure to freeze and display disappears completely (becomes black).

System specs:
Gigabyte X58A-UD3R mobo
TWO OCZ Vertex2 90GB SSDs in RAID0
Additional one or two electromechanical (7200 RPM) drives
TWO EVGA SuperClocked GT 570 cards in SLI
Core i7 920 overclocked to 200Bclk and x21
6x2GB GSKILL DDR3's
I also plan on CPU-only liquid cooling solution in the near future, just need to get some new radiators to accommodate other parts I already had.
Also have DVD-RW and a dozen USB devices connected

THanks!

February 21, 2011 2:26:11 PM

What is your OS? Is it Win XP? Memory dumps perhaps? Really, a dozen USB devices connected. What devices are those? External hard drives or what? If it is, then I think it is really drawing more power(watts) than your PSU can handle.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
February 21, 2011 2:35:52 PM

personally I'd run Memtest and Prime 95 to check system stability first - I don't think a good quality 750W PSU would cause problems on that system.
m
l
Related resources
February 21, 2011 2:36:09 PM

binoyski said:
What is your OS? Is it Win XP? Memory dumps perhaps? Really, a dozen USB devices connected. What devices are those? External hard drives or what? If it is, then I think it is really drawing more power(watts) than your PSU can handle.

W7 x64 ultimate.
Webcam, mouse (wired G500 for gamging), another mouse for wireless laziness, keyboard, headset, external drive, 3D Vision glasses (charging), 3D sync emitter, ipod sometimes. Usually not all are connected at the same time, though, so cont load is lower.
m
l
February 22, 2011 3:17:29 PM

I think the problem might be the OC on your cpu. What is the speed of your OC and its voltage? But if your rig is running the OC from the start and you've been using it long enough, then I think you just need to clean your cpu coolers' heatsinks! Clean the fans & use some compressed air for the heatsink.
m
l
!