Advice on Home Storage Server

ejthurgo

Honorable
Mar 10, 2013
Hi Guys,
Could do with some advice - I'm wanting to build a new storage server.
Currently I have a 2x2TB system running windows 7, but have filled this.

The plan is to keep this system as a media centre (but moving to Ubuntu XBMC because WMC sucks for MKVs) but moving the storage to an external device / system.

I'm wanting ideally +8TB including redundancy.

I'm not afraid of going NAS providing it's decent (I haven't had great experience with NAS before - which is why I built my current setup, but I'm hoping they're better now).
http://www.amazon.co.uk/QNAP-TS-412-Digital-Diskless-Multimedia/dp/B004LOCFUY/ref=pd_sim_sbs_computers_2
This with 3TB drives would give me 9TB on a RAID5.

However I would ideally like more scope to expand later, but the 8 bay version is £750+ without drives which is starting to get really expensive.

I actually wouldn't mind moving to a SMALL rack setup. I've been trying to figure out whether a cost-effective decent/scalable system could be built using ex-corporate components like:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HP-ProLiant-DL360-G5-Quad-Core-Xeon-3-0Ghz-8GB-RAM-1U-VMware-ESXi-RAID-Server-/121067514712?pt=UK_Computing_Servers&hash=item1c302fab58

Would be really interested to know if anyone runs or has experience of building anything like this?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Ed

RealBeast

Titan
Those HP, IIRC, only use (SFF) 2.5 inch drives, so it won't work with standard 3.5 inch drives.

While QNAP is very good, I often build NAS boxes using inexpensive parts plus a good RAID adapter -- usually an Adaptec 6805. You need the minimum of processing power and can run them headless from a network computer, although it is quicker to attach a monitor and set them up with the onboard video. 4Gb of ram is probably overkill, but it's so cheap why not? The case I use depends on what I have laying around, or if for a big array I'll get a cheap full tower with lots of bays or modify it. Whatever RAID card you go with -- get the kit that includes the 2 SFF-8087 mini-SAS to 4 SATA cables. They cost a lot more separately.