Any advice on the remaining parts left to purchase?

dimondia

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2010
Hi,

I have previously put a thread about this about a month or so ago, but now I have already purchased most of the smaller bits and pieces although I am a little unsure about the monitor. Also, if you like to offer any other advice about the rest of the components, please feel welcome to add.
As I said, my main thoughts are for the LED monitor. Is this what I want for the best of both worlds of watching films and playing games. So much internet opinion on whether it has slower response rates than pure LCDs. Is it a sacrifice for the higher contrast ratio available on LED lit LCDs??? I noticed that above 24 inch, the pixel pitch on most brands increases to o.3+ of a mm, whereas on 24 inches and less its usually 0.274...maybe up close, you will notice a difference and make minor difference to the overall image clarity. Should I therefore for gaming purposes stick to 24 inches or 27 and move the screen further away? Hmm, but then again, it has the same pixel resolution. (I know, I am speaking from my head right now)

So, my component list is as follows:

Intel i7 950 CPU 3.06GHz
Coolermaster HAF X Black Tower Computer Case (PURCHASED)
Corsair 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz XMS3 Dominator Memory CL8(8-8-8--24) for i7 Motherboards TR3X6G1600C8D
Asus 1536MB GeForce GTX 580 GDDR5 NVIDIA Graphics Card
Asus SABERTOOTH X58 TUF Components series ATX Motherboard
Coolermaster Silent Pro Gold 1000W Modular PSU
120GB OCZ Vertex 2 3.5" SSD up to 285MB/s READ up to 275MB/s WRITE
Samsung HD103SJ Spinpoint F3 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 32MB Cache - OEM (PURCHASED)
LG CH10LS20 BD-ROM and DVD-RW Drive - CH10LS20.AUAR10B (PURCHASED)
All in 1 Internal Card Reader Plus One USB2 Port, Black (PURCHASED)
StarTech.com Bracket for 3.5 Inch Floppy with Bezel FOR ALL IN 1 CARD READER IN FRONT 5.25 BAY (PURCHASED)
COOLERMASTER MEGA-FLOW 200mm Transprent Blue LED Silent Fan 700rpm (PURCHASED)
25cm FlexLight 24 x 4mm Blue LEDs with connection cable (PURCHASED)
OS supplied from Uni 64 bit windows 7 (FREE)
Cyborg R.A.T.5 Gaming Mouse (PURCHASED)
Sennheiser PC 350 Gaming Headset with MIC
Asus VK246H 24inch Widescreen 2ms DVI HDMI LCD Monitor Built-in Webcam

mrtoesterman

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010
since looking at your list, i see that your not afraid to open your wallet, in that case....

Get another HDD, same one.... can set that on raid0, plus get some HDD coolers...... you want speed right?

Double up on that same ram also..... reason is.... then when you are set up your rig, in OS, you can set up a RAM DISK; with the SDD.... ahhh to lazy to type, quick summary, you can achive speed of 10x fast then your SDD (your Vertx, has a read of285/mb, and the RAM DISK can reach 10x = 2859/mb). here the link. In addition, get some Ram coolers. http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=107670&highlight=ramdisk

Monitor, get his, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009206 , i got this and it's awesome!!, but if you have more cash, get a 120hz rig..... then you get 3D it later..

You already know what you are getting and you just wanted to show off your build...... thats all right!

dimondia

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2010
I think its fast enough having a SSD considering the price jump of purchasing another SSD and on top of that 3x2GB modules...plus, it works off triple channel memory, so the system would not really use the rest of the 6GB added according to my understanding. I understand that its possible to have only one triple channel memory architecture...not 2 triple channels.

HDD coolers...hmm, I wont be needing it since I dont think I will do raid with SSDs, but I got a HAF X case with the optional 200mm fan installed and the fan controller, so I pretty much got the cooling sorted I think even if I was going to go for it. The 230mm front red LED fan sits in the airflow path of the 3.5" internal drive bays where the SDD and HDD will sit.

But I greatly appreciate your valued opinion.

About the monitor, its more expensive and the contrast ratio is much less than the one I listed.
I was looking at this 27" LED one, the same model as the 24" one I listed but its LED backlit, obviously in this case has a much higher contrast ratio. But im not sure if I should go for LED backlit, and the pixel pitch is slightly bigger which seems doubtful for me. But it sill holds a 2ms response time and other similarities.

http://www.lambda-tek.com/componentshop/index.pl?prodID=2072253&viewOverview=y&showold=#productTop

heh, im not showing it off! :p But easily understood...im just trying to make the best choices for myself and for other home building system researchers by sharing my knowledge with the community.

mrtoesterman

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010
umm my monitor isn't lower in contrast ratio, i think you missed a digit... yours is what? (ASUS VK246H Black 24" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 DC 1000:1 (ASCR 20000:1 ) Built-in Speakers w/ 1.3m Pixel Webcam )10,000;1? mine is 8,000,000:1Acer S243HLbmii Black 24" 2ms(GTG) Full HD LED Backlight LCD monitor 250 cd/m2 DC 8,000,000:1 w/Speakers.

if you got extra ram slots, they will work.... what u are thinking is on OC terms.... they will work in OC too but you must know that, if you fill the exta slots up, you will be adding heat/more VOLT, thats all it is, but OC think about less heat that equal with the power, if you didn't check that link about RamDisk, do so, it not..... no worries....

no i wasn't talking about the SSD i was talking about your HDD, since that is for your "other files" mind as well have speed with it, Raid0

dimondia

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2010
Check out the 27 inch one. Its also LED. That is the one I meant.
Here it is again:

http://www.lambda-tek.com/componentshop/index.pl?prodID=2072253&viewOverview=y&showold=#productTop

Well I was thinking of OC the CPU to 4.2GHz but maybe will leave increasing RAM for now since they are expensive enough and it will produce a lot of heat and even though its the best case in the flow with 5 great fans on a great fan controller...I dont think its sensible to push it that far.
Well yea I could do raid on the HDD if I got another...but I dont think I need the speed other than for a few games and some programs to populate my SSD...120GB is more than enough for that and the rest I will archive stuff on.

Most people say that 6GB is more than enough for i7 CPUs, the dominator series on 1600MHz is fast enough I think to handle 80% of what 12GB could handle (thats if what your idea is of populating the other 3 DIMMs)