Games are freezing regularly

lirkepirk

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2010
Hey, I don't know what the problem can be, so I need some advices on what to do. Basically every game I open will freeze a few secounds after it starts (not the menu, but the real game in the levels). It can then start again and run as normal for 2-8 secounds before it freezes again. I dont know what to do, or what it could be. I have Radeon XFX 5870, 4 gb ram, phenom 965 IIx4.

yakmar

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010

Hello,

What kind of PSU do you have? Wich brand and how much watt? Did you checked your PSU cables?

Regards.

KaKkaR0T

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
might be that your CPU or GPU is overheating, check your temps under load and when idle. Use realtemp or everest ultimate edition

yakmar

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010
Hello,

Your PSU should be fine, however it's not a regulary brand. How is your airflow in your system? Did you checked your temperatures to make sure your videocard is not overheating? Also, be sure your case is rid of dust.

Regards.

lirkepirk

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2010
Thanks alot people, I tried to open the cabinet and take a look, pushed a bit on the cables. Then I logged on and saw that someone (it was certainly not me) had tuned the overdrive feature. What I want to know is why can overclocking stuff make it almost disabled? the temperature was fine. Oh, and can wires (ofc plastic around them) damage my motherboard if the are kinda touching it? it's quite a mess inside the computer

yakmar

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010
Hello,

Based on your findings i think someone has overclocked your card. Pushing the overdrive (e.g. clock) the videocard too high can cause some serious troubles. Heat, RAM faulty and other things may be experienced. Please make sure to turn it off or set it to default/factory clock settings.

Are you experiencing any artifacts by any chance? (Little blocks on your screen).

Also there you have said is that there is some quite a mess inside your case. I am also suspecting that your airflow is almost nothing or a small breeze making your videocard overheat when playing games. Plastic wraps do not damage your motherboard, just make sure you do not touch any components on the motherboards before you have "unloaded" yourself of any static electricity.

Regards.