Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Extra Info recorded with photo

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
Anonymous
January 17, 2005 8:29:29 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Hey,
there's all sorts of extra info like camera settings, shutter speed,
apeture, date and time.etc recorded in the image file, but when you edit the
file you loose all the info, is there a way of doing *basic* editing
especially rotating without loosing this info, it's nice to know how the cam
was set so you can learn what settings give good pics in which environments
:-)
Thanks
Steven
Anonymous
January 17, 2005 8:29:30 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Steven Hook wrote:
> Hey,
> there's all sorts of extra info like camera settings, shutter speed,
> apeture, date and time.etc recorded in the image file, but when you
> edit the file you loose all the info, is there a way of doing *basic*
> editing especially rotating without loosing this info, it's nice to
> know how the cam was set so you can learn what settings give good
> pics in which environments :-)
> Thanks
> Steven

Use software like Paint Shop Pro - it can preserve the EXIF info to which
you refer.

You can get basic software from http://sylvana.net/jpegcrop/ which allows
lossless cropping and 90-degree rotation. I would expect it to preserve
EXIF information.

Cheers,
David
Anonymous
January 17, 2005 8:29:30 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On 17 Jan 2005 in rec.photo.digital, Steven Hook wrote:

> there's all sorts of extra info like camera settings, shutter speed,
> apeture, date and time.etc recorded in the image file, but when you
> edit the file you loose all the info, is there a way of doing
> *basic* editing especially rotating without loosing this info, it's
> nice to know how the cam was set so you can learn what settings give
> good pics in which environments

http://www.irfanview.com/

--
Joe Makowiec
http://makowiec.org/
Email: http://makowiec.org/contact/?Joe
Related resources
Anonymous
January 17, 2005 8:29:31 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Joe Makowiec" <makowiec@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
news:Xns95E17149BF6A2makowiecatnycapdotrE@24.24.2.166...
> On 17 Jan 2005 in rec.photo.digital, Steven Hook wrote:
>
>> there's all sorts of extra info like camera settings, shutter speed,
>> apeture, date and time.etc recorded in the image file, but when you
>> edit the file you loose all the info, is there a way of doing
>> *basic* editing especially rotating without loosing this info, it's
>> nice to know how the cam was set so you can learn what settings give
>> good pics in which environments
>
> http://www.irfanview.com/

Irfanview is free, will do rotation, cropping, resizing, resampling,
and some other editing tasks. When saving an edited photo you
can specify whether or not to save the EXIF data.

Alan
Anonymous
January 17, 2005 8:44:25 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

> Cheers,
> David

THANKS!!
Steven
Anonymous
January 17, 2005 11:24:38 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Alan Meyer wrote:
> "Joe Makowiec" <makowiec@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> news:Xns95E17149BF6A2makowiecatnycapdotrE@24.24.2.166...
>
>>On 17 Jan 2005 in rec.photo.digital, Steven Hook wrote:
>>
>>
>>>there's all sorts of extra info like camera settings, shutter speed,
>>>apeture, date and time.etc recorded in the image file, but when you
>>>edit the file you loose all the info, is there a way of doing
>>>*basic* editing especially rotating without loosing this info, it's
>>>nice to know how the cam was set so you can learn what settings give
>>>good pics in which environments
>>
>>http://www.irfanview.com/
>
>
> Irfanview is free, will do rotation, cropping, resizing, resampling,
> and some other editing tasks. When saving an edited photo you
> can specify whether or not to save the EXIF data.
>
> Alan
>
>
Better yet, treat the original as read-only and do any editing on a
copy. That way, not only do you always have the EXIF, but you can also
fall back on the orignal when you find that you have botched up the
editing beyond hope.
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 10:56:29 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Dan Campbell" <danlmac@nomail.org> wrote in message
news:Wj%Gd.9730$ru.8675@fed1read07...
> Alan Meyer wrote:
> > "Joe Makowiec" <makowiec@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> > news:Xns95E17149BF6A2makowiecatnycapdotrE@24.24.2.166...
> >
> >>On 17 Jan 2005 in rec.photo.digital, Steven Hook wrote:
> >>
> >>
> >>>there's all sorts of extra info like camera settings, shutter speed,
> >>>apeture, date and time.etc recorded in the image file, but when you
> >>>edit the file you loose all the info, is there a way of doing
> >>>*basic* editing especially rotating without loosing this info, it's
> >>>nice to know how the cam was set so you can learn what settings give
> >>>good pics in which environments
> >>
> >>http://www.irfanview.com/
> >
> >
> > Irfanview is free, will do rotation, cropping, resizing, resampling,
> > and some other editing tasks. When saving an edited photo you
> > can specify whether or not to save the EXIF data.
> >
> > Alan
> >
> >
> Better yet, treat the original as read-only and do any editing on a
> copy. That way, not only do you always have the EXIF, but you can also
> fall back on the orignal when you find that you have botched up the
> editing beyond hope.

yea, well with my skills that's the best idea yet! it also means that I'll
know how the photo WAS with those settings before editing.
Thanks, all who comented!
Steven
!