Sign in with
Your question

P67 or... BD?

Last response: in CPUs
February 21, 2011 6:44:29 PM

Hi, I'm currently using i7-860 @ 3.8ghz, and I'm really feeling the lack of processing power when rendering stuff from Cinema4D and realflow.
I was going to wait for BD to come out in Q2, but from what i read, BD's 8core processor will be around 1.5times the performance of i7-950.
Would buying i7-2600k now be better off(Well, prob after revision 2 p67mobos come out)?

Without the actual BD samples/data, its hard to tell which is better, but I just want to hear you guy's opinions.
Thank you!

More about : p67

February 21, 2011 7:15:43 PM

We can't really have an opinion without the data. My bets would be on Sandybridge, AMD has consistently underperformed over the years, and throwing some more cores around doesn't solve any more fundamental issues. However, I could be wrong, I have no intention to speculate - wait for BD would be my advice, and when it comes lets see what the benchmarks say. By that time we'll be nearing the enthusiast sandybridge releases, so if you are looking for serious processor power you'll be having some there. On that note, what are you using your processor for? There's no need on spending cash for the sake of it - for example I'd advise gamers that do not encode or use any other hyperthreaded applications to go for the i5-2500k over the i7-2600k, based on 2mb cache being rather negligible and hypthreading negatively impacting some games.

TL;DR - wait for BD, see what it does, if you need CPU power wait for Q3/4 for the next set of extreme releases.
m
l
February 21, 2011 8:34:22 PM

Wampbit said:
We can't really have an opinion without the data. My bets would be on Sandybridge, AMD has consistently underperformed over the years, and throwing some more cores around doesn't solve any more fundamental issues. However, I could be wrong, I have no intention to speculate - wait for BD would be my advice, and when it comes lets see what the benchmarks say. By that time we'll be nearing the enthusiast sandybridge releases, so if you are looking for serious processor power you'll be having some there. On that note, what are you using your processor for? There's no need on spending cash for the sake of it - for example I'd advise gamers that do not encode or use any other hyperthreaded applications to go for the i5-2500k over the i7-2600k, based on 2mb cache being rather negligible and hypthreading negatively impacting some games.

TL;DR - wait for BD, see what it does, if you need CPU power wait for Q3/4 for the next set of extreme releases.

Use of my CPU was mentioned on my post fairly clearly imo >.> Rendering on Cinema4D and realflow is the main use. I do play games,
but if i were to just play games, i wouldn't even have bothered getting i7-860.
And yes, you are right. As I have mentioned as well, its hard to tell which one would be the better choice, just wanted to hear out some opinions.

Sandy-E is comming out on Q4, which is more than half an year away, and im not gonna wait for that long.lol
If BD doesn't come out till late April i prob will go for i7-2600k unless sample benchmark convinces me to not to. xD
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
February 21, 2011 8:52:17 PM

I doubt you would be disapointed with an OC'd i7 2600 setup, the results are ridiculous.

Setting up a P67 2600 rig isn't cheap but then again isn't much more than an i7 950 setup ATM.

Have you considered a dual cpu board, lots of money but you could then just add another 860.

As mentioned before waiting for BD and benches is the only sure fired way of knowing.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 21, 2011 9:07:45 PM

Quote:
You always put that bullshit no name link up and honestly it's crap and not even worth looking at so why do it? Do you actually think it's useful?

Charming. :lol: 

Hows the new build treating you Psycho, is it all you imagined it would be?
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 21, 2011 9:16:31 PM

Wow. I choose to remain neutral. :heink: 

Anyway, since when has AMD "consistently underperformed"? I don't recall Intel releasing a hexacore processor for $200 and under, now, do I?
m
l
February 28, 2011 11:11:41 PM

Best answer selected by roadwarrior7.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 1, 2011 1:09:37 AM

beanoslim said:
I doubt you would be disapointed with an OC'd i7 2600 setup, the results are ridiculous.

Setting up a P67 2600 rig isn't cheap but then again isn't much more than an i7 950 setup ATM.

Have you considered a dual cpu board, lots of money but you could then just add another 860.

As mentioned before waiting for BD and benches is the only sure fired way of knowing.

To do that would require Xeon CPUs.
m
l
!