Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Video editing PC

Last response: in Systems
November 26, 2010 2:25:54 AM

Hey guys, I have recently picked up the hobby of doing full HD video editing with Adobe CS5 master edition, Sony Vegas 9 pro, and upon getting my new PC, I'll also use software such as 3DS Max. I addition, I will also be doing some mild gaming, but that is secondary to the video editing. It has to be under $900, and be as proficient as possible at the afore mentioned tasks.

What I need: CPU, GPU, RAM, Motherboard, PSU, Computer case, HDD, Optical Drive, and any extra cables necessary to put it all together. So I basically need everything that goes into the PC lol.

What I don't need: Any software, monitor, mouse, or keyboard

Other info: I was really hoping to get this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?I... From what I know, this would have fit my needs accordingly, however when I was going through the individual parts, I realized that the GPU in this combo deal was out of stock making this combo unusable. I will be using the software that I had mentioned earlier, along with: various RTS games, window 7 ultimate 64 bit as the OS, Microsoft visuals 2010 for programing, and a lot of other not very significant ones that will be running in the background, including, but not limited to: Skype doing video calls with friends trading ideas and such with CS5 (using Skype's screen capture and showing him what I am working on in CS5), Internet security, a lot of internet browsers up, and numerous of minimized apps.

Not worried about future upgrade ability or anything like that, but the $900 budget can not be broken. I have been leaning towards getting a thuban cpu since I will be doing a lot of multitasking, and gaming is not in anyway a priority. I am fine with going with Intel and getting an i5- 760 if that would be better suited for my needs, or going with one of the Phenom ii X4's. I need at least 4gigs of RAM (preferably more because After effects uses a lot), and a large enough (and fast) HDD for a lot of videos, music, and apps. I might Over-clock, but if I do it will only be a small OC.

Any Help would be much appreciated, as I am planning on ordering the parts tomorrow (Black Friday).

Thanks in advance!!!!!!

Edit with more info: I will probably use a dual monitor set up, one being a 42in 1080p TV (depending on how that works out) and the other, a 1920x1080p computer monitor.

More about : video editing

November 26, 2010 3:28:56 AM

One thing you definitely dont need is a gaming graphics card .

the X6 and an 880g ,or 890 g chipset mb should run 1080p playback fine

Buy a nice quiet case , and a 500watt psu will be plenty since you are not running a power hungry gfx card
My choice here would be
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

the money you save on gfx card can be used to get he RAM up to 8 gig

why by Win 7 Ultimate? Do you actually need the extra features over pro or even home premium?
Dont buy it thinking its better or faster . With more services running its probably slower .

m
l
November 26, 2010 3:33:39 AM

Outlander_04 said:
One thing you definitely dont need is a gaming graphics card .

the X6 and an 880g ,or 890 g chipset mb should run 1080p playback fine

Buy a nice quiet case , and a 500watt psu will be plenty since you are not running a power hungry gfx card
My choice here would be
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

the money you save on gfx card can be used to get he RAM up to 8 gig

why by Win 7 Ultimate? Do you actually need the extra features over pro or even home premium?
Dont buy it thinking its better or faster . With more services running its probably slower .

Ok thanks for the tips. Will a 890g chip set at least be able to run most games with medium settings? As for the Windows Ultimate, my neighbor works for windows and can get it for me for really cheap, its only like $5 more than the reg. version for him to get lol.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

November 26, 2010 6:11:42 AM

Hmm Adobe Premiere CS5 leverages on GPU via Mrcury Playback Engine and sice gaming on the table i would hit a GTX 460?

Actually Icrontic got excellent results X6 + 8GB RAM + MPE in CS5 Premiere and u dun have to deal with mobos that cost an arm and a leg hehe
A case for GPU computing: Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 and the Mercury Playback Engine
http://tech.icrontic.com/articles/reviews/a-case-for-gp...
Quote:
This project consists of compressed 640×480 video footage. These small video files were being eaten alive by the massive 1090T hexa-core processor and 8GB of RAM. Premiere Pro CS5′s increased performance with multi-core systems coupled with bleeding fast hardware will make fast work of any simple projects such as this, not giving the GPU enough work to really make a difference. These results do suggest that if you’re editing small-time video footage, you will not benefit much from using Mercury Playback.

From $625AR (add bells/whistles like SSD, etc as per desire/budget) Use promo gift card to nab an after market cooler as well hehe

November 26, 2010 4:18:16 PM

Alright thanks, the pricing of that build is very good for me so I probably will not add anything to that build atm. Just a couple more questions now lol, thanks for helping me out.

I got a friend whose PC just died on him and he was doing just about the same stuff I am. He is however, using CS3 since his parents use that for their business work. Would CS3 benefit from having a dedicated GPU? Or would a 890g chipset be adequate for that? I don't think it has the mercury play back feature but I could be wrong. Also, is CS3 thread optimized enough to purchase a hexa core, or would a quad core or fast dual core be more appropriate for CS3?
m
l
November 27, 2010 3:16:17 AM

Best answer selected by oparadoxical_.
m
l
November 27, 2010 4:07:32 AM

If in doubt just hit an 880G and 890GX is just having a slightly higher clocked IGP and 8/8 CF capability which i doubt will come in handy. Yep u are welcomed and cheers
m
l
!